Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bootup always brings up Yahoo Search..I do not use Yahoo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wmn1

wmn1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:32 PM

bootup always brings up Yahoo Search..I do not use Yahoo, or Bing. All I need is Google which is listed as my Home page. I really just need my desktop. I know how to get where I want to go.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:57 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:46 AM

Hi,

If you press the Windows button and R, and then type shell:startup , you can see the applications that open when Windows has loaded.

If you see Yahoo there, delete it from the folder and it should no longer load.

If it isn't there, it is probably something to do with recently installed software.

I would recommend doing what hamluis has said above here: 

Hope this helps :) 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:04 AM

I noticed that installing Java updates automatically will result in Yahoo being designated as your browser and search engine of choice.  Users should never elect the automatic install without reviewing the screens that follow such.  Do not opt for the "change of settings" reflected on one of those screens presented during the install of the Java update.

If the programs are reflected in Add/Remove Programs...you can simply uninstall them and pay attention in the future.

Louis

#5 aeontk

aeontk

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

Wait! Just download wisecare 365 cleaner and go to startup items jt delete yahoo from startup items and it wont run again but never use wisecare to clean your registry never!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

There is no logical reason to ever download a program known as a "registry cleaner/optimizer"...to remove anything from either system startups or installed programs.

Louis

#7 aeontk

aeontk

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:12 PM

Wisecare is safe

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

Bleeping Computer does not support the use of registry cleaners and optimizers.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2853053

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users