Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware/virus Removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 allie1105

allie1105

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:59 AM

Hi All,

I am new to this site, but need some computer advice.

I have an old HP desktop. A few months ago, my neighbor took my computer, reformatted and added more memory. He put XP on it (I had ME before - worst operating system EVER), and made my old machine run beautifully.

My wonderful, irresponsible brother stayed with my husband and I last week while my parents were on vacation. He decided to use my desktop and carelessly download all sorts of lovely things, and now my computer is giving me a lot of trouble. When I run Symantec, here are some of the threats I am getting:

Trojan Dropper
dr. smartload[1]
adware.linkmaker
adware.qoolaid
adware.zquest
adware.dollarrevenue
adware.look2me
Downloader

Thats just a small sample - I get a TON more of those adware.whatever things, a couple of things that say something like W32.Spybot, and more. I downloaded Ad-aware, ran that and deleted a bunch of things...I have run a full virus scan with Symantec SEVERAL times, but the stuff never actually deletes from my computer.

Even better - I was trying to manually remove this stuff using some instructions on the Symantec website, which instructed me to turn off my system restore option and run a virus scan in safe mode. I didn't realize what I did, but now I found out that I can't even restore my computer to how it was at an earlier date (I should have thought to do that immediately). I am currently running my virus scan in Safe Mode, and nothing has come up yet...but I know that its out there. I clean it off, and then it just reappears.

Does anyone have any suggestions - something I can try other than what I have done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:05 AM

Hello allie1105

Lets try a few other anti-malware programs that will supplement your current anti-virus.

Download and scan with Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06. Setup & Configure as shown here.
Download and scan with Spybot S&D 1.4. Setup & Configure as shown here.
[DO NOT choose the option to install TeaTimer]
Note: If you encounter any error messages while downloading the updates, manually download them from here.

download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0 in "SAFE MODE".
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Then perform this online Virus scan:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 allie1105

allie1105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for this! When I get home from work today, I will give this a shot. I will let you know how it goes! I appreciate your assistance!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users