Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with more then one AV and AM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unclemarine

unclemarine

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

I had AVG,(free) but it expired so I downloaded "Avast" (free) as a replacement in addition I have "Webroot Secure Anytime" (paid) and "Malware Bytes" (paid). is there a problem waiting to happen by having these all on my machine??

UncleMarine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

Did you uninstall AVG? Did you use their removal tool? You should do both.

You'll have to uninstall either Avast or Webroot, using 2 AV's is not recommended.

Using MBAM with either is ok.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Read the IMPORTANT NOTE in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

As a general rule, using more than one anti-malware program will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and the others as stand-alone on demand scanners.

If using multiple anti-malware real-time resident shields together at the same time, there can be conflicts as a result of the overlap in protection. These conflicts are typical when similar applications try to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. They may identify the activity of each other as suspicious and produce alerts. In some cases they may identify the activity of each other as suspicious and produce alerts. Further, your anti-virus may detect suspicious activity while anti-malware programs are scanning (reading) files, especially if it uses a heuristic scanning engine, regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand. The anti-virus may even detect as threats, any malware removed by these programs and placed into quarantined areas. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts or false alarms that continually warn a threat has been found if the contents of the quarantine folder are not removed before beginning a new security scan. Generally these conflicts are more of an annoyance rather than the significant conflicts which occur when running two anti-virus programs in real time.

Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users