Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 day old Dell desktop dropped Internet says "no connections available"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 barrette

barrette

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

My Dell  XPS 8900 worked perfectly fine for several hours, but now won't let me connect to the Internet.  Another computer in the same room gets online without a problem,  using the *same* internet cable. 

I also get error messages on the Dell when trying to use system restore,  and when trying to reset the computer.  (I thought if I just started over it might fix it.) 

There is an icon on the screen lower right of a little monitor, with red X over it.  When I click that it tells me "no connections are available."  I've unplugged and replugged everything (modem, router, computer) and nothing has worked.   I have Windows 10.

Anything I should do?

Edited by barrette, 12 December 2015 - 02:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

Right click the little icon and select Troubleshoot.

#3 barrette

barrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

It tells me the troubleshooter is unable to detect the problem.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:13 PM

There have been a ton of issues with Windows 10 and internet access. Download Netadapter all in one repair. Make sure your adapter is in the dropdown box. Press Advanced Repair.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

Whatever you do don't open up the case or break any seals. If this computer is only a few days old and a software solution cannot fix your wi-fi you have a very good case for taking it back to your supplier and saying the wi-fi don't work, fix it please !  (Always start politely !).

Chris Cosgrove

#6 barrette

barrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:28 PM

I finally (and don't remember how exactly) found instructions to restore factory settings and now it is again working as it's supposed to.    Not the best solution, I know, wiping all out and starting over.   I appreciate your comment, this is a good site. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

Glad you got your internet back. I would create a restore point if you have not done so. It make be a good idea to use a program like Macrium Free to create regular disk image backups to an external drive. This way you can restore the image without doing a factory reset back to the beginning.

#8 Epimetheus

Epimetheus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

In Device Manager, see if you wireless device properties give you an option to roll back the driver on the adapter.  It will be the "driver" tab on "Properties" under your wireless adapter.  If the box isn't grayed out, you may be able to roll the driver back to the earlier working one.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

It's happening with video drivers too so watch out guys! Just sayin :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users