Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

Just curious about my system restore settings, it is currently set at 5.25 G, is that enough or should it be larger, I checked in Ccleaner and it only shows 5 restore points, also would like to know how often restore points are created and if it vary s.

Thanks

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

As far as the size of your restore folder goes it depends on the size of your hard drive and how much empty space there is on it. If you have 100 - 200GB of empty space then the size of your restore folder is not important. Windows needs approximately 15% of empty space on  the C:\ drive to work properly so it is only if the total of occupied space is getting towards 85% of capacity that you need to think about freeing up hard drive space.

One way to do this is to reduce the amount of space allocated to the restore folder. Another, and perhaps better, way is to move stuff you want to keep but don't need regular access to to external storage or a second hard drive.

When do restore points get created ?  At various times. Installing critical updates usually creates a restore point as does updating important software such as A/V. And you can of course always create one yourself if you are planning on making some major change to your system which you feel might go pear shaped!  It is a very simple way of getting yourself out of trouble.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

Thank you for the response, I have a SSD 450 GB drive with 410 GB free so I guess I don't have to worry.

Moe_P

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

Try-

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

That way you can keep system images on a usb drive & free up space on your computer.

Restore points have a history of failing anyways.

I quit using them years ago.

Macrium is much better for backups. :)

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#5 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

Thanks medab, I am looking to get a thumb drive to store a system image, would a 32 GB  be enough for this machine, also as changes are made would I be able reuse the same thumb drive to update the changes.

Moe_P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users