Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External harddisk problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Vladdermuis

Vladdermuis

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

Dear Bleepers,

I have a problem and a question

My Seagate 500GB harddisk (external) does not show up anymore and after a bit of research i found out that my harddisk has changed to RAW(?)

Now also i get this error message from windows that i cannot access the disk so i MUST format it.

The problem is though, there are very valuable things on the disk and i can not format it.

Previously you are a great help for me getting rid of a cryptolocker virus so thats why i have returned in hope you all can help me again...as a last resort..

Thanks in advance,

~Vladdermuis

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2015 - 08:24 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Backup, Imaging, Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

This indicates file system corruption and or a missing Partition table. You may be able to mount the disk using a linux distro. You can download Puppy linux Tahrpup heretahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso Burn the iso file and boot the disk. Attach your hard drive. You will see a USB icon appear on the desktop. Click once on the icon. If Puppy can mount the disk you should see a File Manager open. If it does open post back and I will give instructions on copying files. If not then we can try another program.

#3 Vladdermuis

Vladdermuis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

This indicates file system corruption and or a missing Partition table. You may be able to mount the disk using a linux distro. You can download Puppy linux Tahrpup heretahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso Burn the iso file and boot the disk. Attach your hard drive. You will see a USB icon appear on the desktop. Click once on the icon. If Puppy can mount the disk you should see a File Manager open. If it does open post back and I will give instructions on copying files. If not then we can try another program.

Thanks much for answering so fast!

I will try that..Ill let know what happens

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

If by chance you cannot mount the drive with Puppy then try the following. Download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip to a folder on your desktop and double click the TestDisk executable. Your External drive will most likely be labeled sdb if you only have one internal drive. Do a Quick Search for Partitions. Highlight any partition it finds and press the "P" key. Your files should be listed. You can copy a file or directory by highlighting and pressing ":". Then press the "C" key to copy the file. Do not select any write option. If you cannot see your partitions using Quick Search you will need to do a Deeper Search.

The files will be copied to the folder you unzipped TestDisk to.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/Download_and_donate.php/testdisk-7.0.win.zip

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

#5 Vladdermuis

Vladdermuis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

If by chance you cannot mount the drive with Puppy then try the following. Download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip to a folder on your desktop and double click the TestDisk executable. Your External drive will most likely be labeled sdb if you only have one internal drive. Do a Quick Search for Partitions. Highlight any partition it finds and press the "P" key. Your files should be listed. You can copy a file or directory by highlighting and pressing ":". Then press the "C" key to copy the file. Do not select any write option. If you cannot see your partitions using Quick Search you will need to do a Deeper Search.

The files will be copied to the folder you unzipped TestDisk to.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/Download_and_donate.php/testdisk-7.0.win.zip

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Dear John,

I just installed puppy and there appears a usb icon on the desktop (in puppy) when i connect the drive.

I hope that is a good sign..

Edited by Vladdermuis, 12 December 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

If you click on it, does it mount and a File Manager open showing the files?

Edit: You say you installed Puppy. You mean you simply booted the Puppy CD/DVD disk, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 December 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#7 Vladdermuis

Vladdermuis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

I just tried, sorry, and no i got an error..if things went right in my previous post is an attached file with wich error i got..

#8 Vladdermuis

Vladdermuis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

There..

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

Okay, remove the Puppy disk and use TestDisk as I posted.

#10 Vladdermuis

Vladdermuis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

If you click on it, does it mount and a File Manager open showing the files?

Edit: You say you installed Puppy. You mean you simply booted the Puppy CD/DVD disk, correct?

Yeah well i think so..i ran the EXE and it asked me to reboot..so i did and the computer booted in puppy

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

It should have been an iso you burn to disk and boot the disk. Are you saying you installed Puppy on your hard drive? You can no longer boot into Windows?

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 December 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#12 Vladdermuis

Vladdermuis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:19 PM

It should have been an iso you burn to disk and boot the disk. Are you saying you installed Puppy on your hard drive? You can no longer boot into Windows?

Oh..well yes i can, i got 2 boot options now, either puppy or windows.

Also testdisk gives me a reading error when performing deeper scan

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

I am not sure how you installed puppy linux. The iso file was to burned to CD/DVD disk and then booted to be run from RAM. If you no longer want Puppy I would go to the linux forum and ask how to remove and keep Windows. Which Windows version do you have, Windows 7?

I assume TestDisk could not find partitions using the Quick Search, correct? Run Testdisk again but instead of clicking Analyze, click Advanced > Boot. Does it say you have a valid boot sector?

#14 Vladdermuis

Vladdermuis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:06 PM

I am not sure how you installed puppy linux. The iso file was to burned to CD/DVD disk and then booted to be run from RAM. If you no longer want Puppy I would go to the linux forum and ask how to remove and keep Windows. Which Windows version do you have, Windows 7?

I assume TestDisk could not find partitions using the Quick Search, correct? Run Testdisk again but instead of clicking Analyze, click Advanced > Boot. Does it say you have a valid boot sector?

Sorry for my late reaction. but yes windows 7

Also at testdisk i was not sure to select wich partition mode i had to pick so i just took intel/pc ?

When i clicked on advanced, testdisk showed me this,,(screenshot in attachment)

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Vladdermuis, 13 December 2015 - 01:09 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

That does not look like a familiar TestDisk output, especially with the Novell labeled partition. Under the Advanced menu there is no Boot option? That is interesting. I am not sure why you only get an option to do a imagefile. See this guide on using Testdisk with a RAW disk. It may be a good idea to test your hard drive first to see if it is failing or passes using Gsmartcontrol as shown in the guide.

If youl cannot access a partition by pressing "P" then you may need to do a scan using recovery software such as Minitools Power Data Recovery. Unfortunately, it only allows you to recover 1GB for free to see if it works. You need to purchase a key to recover anything over 1GB. Another recovery software people have had good luck with is Diskinternals Partition Recovery. Unfortunately it is somewhat expensive but you can run it in demo mode to see if it can find your partitions and files.

Edit: If your hard drive does not pass the Gsmartcontrol test then I would not do any more scans on the drive as that would stress it more. You would need to consult a professional data recovery service.

Minitools Partition Wizard has an option to find any missing partitions but I don't think that would find anything if TestDisk could not. When you did a QuickSearch using Testdisk, it did not find any partitions, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 December 2015 - 02:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users