Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jeaniev

jeaniev

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

A question about the Mail app that comes with Windows 10.  We tried to use it - we can read email from Yahoo, but the contact list is not there, nor is there any place to add a contact list. Someone said there is an icon on the bottom left but there is no contact button on our screen.  At the bottom there is a mail icon, a calendar icon, a blank space where contacts probably should be, a feedback icon and a help icon.  Our workaround is to just go back to the browser, log on to yahoo.com like always and get our mail that way, but are we missing something? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

I will be interested to see the replies you get to this myself. In the meantime this may be of some help:

Microsoft's Address Book / Contacts is the People app. You should have that available as a tile in your Start screen and  / or All Apps. In Mail I have not found direct access to People but I have found you can do some things by opening the online email utility which is Outlook.com. It should have the same emails in it as Mail. Again I have not found People directly there, but on the upper left is a group of coloured squares. This is a short-cut to all the online Microsoft Office features, including People. If your apps have been synchronizing your contacts should be there. 

Another thing you might try is to see if you have got Windows Live Mail (.eg. as a Start screen tile). If you have, in the bottom left corner there should be icons, one of which is a Book --- it is your contacts, same as People. Live Mail is good, but I think it is in process of being scrapped.

Also, have you registered your Yahoo Account in Mail? Click on the Settings cog bottom left. Setting open on the right. Go to Manage Accounts and then Add Account. I have added a BTYahoo Account and can use both Mail and BTYahoo emails (or others if I want) together in Mail.

As I said, I will be interested in anything others contribute, including any corrections to what I have written.

#3 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:05 PM

It's not a full mail program, it does not support POP3.

You need Windows Live Mail for that, as Win 10 does not support Windows Mail anymore.

Bill

#4 jeaniev

jeaniev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

So what is Windows Live Mail? and if Win 10 doesn't support it then why would some other windows mail be on a computer that we bought that came with windows 10?  We gave up on mail and just log in on the internet like we always got email.  If it's not broke, don't fix it.!!

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

Windows Live Mail is an e-mail client written by Microsoft that's a part of the Windows Essentials suite.  It is not unlike Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook (just the mail part), Opera e-mail, etc.

It can be installed stand-alone, as can any of the programs that are part of that suite.  OneDrive has been coming "standard" on Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Some people just like an e-mail client (and the Windows Mail App is just another one) while others are fine using a web-based interface.  I do the latter, but am frequently setting up e-mail clients for those who prefer them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 jeaniev

jeaniev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

Okay, thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought, and I told my husband, why not get your email the same way you always did but he wants to push the buttons and see what they do....  and then to me ... why don't they work?  :-)  I'm for doing it the way it always worked good... why fix it if isn't broken?

#7 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:47 PM

A question about the Mail app that comes with Windows 10.  We tried to use it - we can read email from Yahoo, but the contact list is not there, nor is there any place to add a contact list. Someone said there is an icon on the bottom left but there is no contact button on our screen.  At the bottom there is a mail icon, a calendar icon, a blank space where contacts probably should be, a feedback icon and a help icon.  Our workaround is to just go back to the browser, log on to yahoo.com like always and get our mail that way, but are we missing something? 

Do you have a Microsoft email account plugged into the app?  This was a problem with the mail app in Windows 8.1 as well.  Once you have that Microsoft email account plugged in everything should work.  What you are describing is the exact same problem in the mail app in Windows 8 and 8.1.

#8 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:49 PM

You need Windows Live Mail for that, as Win 10 does not support Windows Mail anymore.

Bill

Windows Live Mail is about to get the axe from Microsoft.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,801 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:00 AM

Bill

Windows Live Mail is about to get the axe from Microsoft.

Link to Microsoft information about same?   I have seen absolutely nothing that indicates that any component of Windows Essentials is due to fall under the axe anytime soon.

Admittedly, Microsoft has used the "Live" designation several times and in several different contexts related to mail, and their "Live Mail" that was their online flagship after Hotmail and before Outlook.com (and had addresses ending in @live.com) is long dead.

That's completely separate from the Windows Live Mail e-mail client that's a part of Windows Essentials.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 jeaniev

jeaniev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

You say I need Windows live mail, not Windows mail. I don't know what I have. All I know is I bought the computer with Windows 10 on it. This wasnt an upgrade so presumably what is on it should work with 10, right? Traveling now so can't work on the problem n till after the holiday. Merry Christmas everyone!

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,801 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

jeaniev,

What comes bundled with Windows 10 is the Mail app, not Windows Live Mail.  The two e-mail clients have virtually nothing in common other than that they were both created by Microsoft.  Two more different "look and feel" experiences really cannot be imagined.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users