Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stubborn Norton Folder

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bobyboy

bobyboy

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

Windows 10.
Uninstalled Norton which has left behind a folder in my Program Data folder, which i cannot seem to be able to remove, have tried the Norton removal tool, any suggestions please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

What happens if you're logged in under an administrator account, open a Command Prompt elevated to administrator privileges, navigate to the parent directory of the Norton directory, and try to remove it with rmdir /S /Q {Insert appropriate real Norton directory/folder name here}?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 bobyboy

bobyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:40 PM

It tells me that it cannot do that because it is being used by another process.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,894 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

Then my next step would be to try a Clean Boot (the steps are described elsewhere here, just do a quick search) and try to remove it with an elevated command prompt again.

If that doesn't work, then try a safe mode boot (which I can't recall how to do at the moment, either, and again is discussed in the forums) and try to remove it.

Have you looked in the contents of said folder?  Is it possible that you have some other Norton component (e.g., a toolbar, even if it's hidden) running?  Definitely double check your Programs and Features to see if any other thing associated with Norton shows up in the list.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

Can tell you what I do but might not be advisable on this sight.I open up regedit and find Norton entries and delete them.Reboot and then delete the folder.Backup the registry just for ha ha's.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,894 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:17 PM

Well, if you're willing to go down the road of registry editing as a first resort then you're a far braver man than I.

I've done registry edits probably less than 10 times in all the years I've been working with Windows.  There's usually a safer way, and it also typically lets you learn what's really the hitch in the gitty-up.

~ Mark Twain

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

Norton is a commercial enterprise.  As such, they go to great lengths to protect their intellectual property in any installation of Norton.

Several years back we had a customer that had installed Norton Internet Security with the wrong date on his BIOS.  Needless to say, activating/using the software proved problematic for him.

Another tech and I tried to uninstall it - yet the remnants wouldn't let us reinstall it on the system when the date was correct.

As it was a slow day, another tech and I spent 4 hours manually plumbing the depths of his registry to remove all traces of Norton and it's associated entries.
We got lucky and managed to remove the appropriate entries so that we could reinstall the program.

As for removing this entry, boot to the recovery environment and use the Command Prompt to delete the file.

First delete the contents of the directory (one by one if necessary), then use RD to remove the empty directory.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

If that doesn't work, then try a safe mode boot (which I can't recall how to do at the moment..

The endless windows functions to remember:-)Type "msconfig" in run and choose "Safe" as boot option.

Once you,ve booted into Safe mode,try and delete the file often works.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

The endless windows functions to remember:-)Type "msconfig" in run and choose "Safe" as boot option.

Once you,ve booted into Safe mode,try and delete the file often works.

If you do use this method to get into safe mode, make sure you go back to msconfig while IN safe mode and UNCHECK the safe boot option. If you don't you will find yourself in a safe mode loop.

#10 bobyboy

bobyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:16 AM

Now removed by going into safe mode.

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users