Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Crashes When Resuming from Sleep/Hibernation with no BSOD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shingdao

shingdao

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hello,

This is my first post and I'm hopeful that you guys can help me with an issue:

I have a brand spanking new laptop un-boxed and setup 4 days ago.  An overview and brief description of the problem below:

Overview:

Brand new laptop opened and set-up on Tuesday, Dec 8th.  Booted with factory install of OS (Windows 10 Home).  After initial set-up, I ran Windows Update and installed and ran all updates including an update to Windows 10 to version 10.0.10586 Build 10586.  After this I installed several applications and removed several more that I considered bloatware (e.g. McAfee Antivirus).  Computer was operating fine the entire first day with no noticeable issues.  

Problem:

Late in the day on day one, I decided to run the Lenovo Companion app pre-loaded with my install.  It prompted me to download and install an updated driver which I did, however after this it prompted me to restart the computer which I opted to do the next morning.  The computer went to sleep/hibernate overnight and when I opened it to resume from sleep the next day, as I logged in after 30 seconds the screen went black and the system shut down (according to event logs).  I hit the power button and started back up...the shut downs repeated 3 more times over the course of several minutes before stabilizing.  Once I was up and running again, I decided to formally restart the machine from the Start menu and when I rebooted and after a very lengthy restart on the screen (15 minutes), I got a BSOD with an error message (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE).  It's a mystery to me why I did not get the BSOD on the 4 previous unexpected shut downs.  At this point I contacted Lenovo tech support and they have me do a hard reset of the laptop and then update both graphics cards drivers (Intel and NVIDIA), which I did.  Things were working OK after this with no random crashes for the remainder of the day.  

Currently:

The crashes have now continued the past 2 days but only occur in the mornings as I wake/resume the machine after overnight.  The laptop crashes 3-4 times in a row over the course of the first 1-2 minutes just after I log-in...the screen goes black, all lights go off except for the power light and I have to reboot the machine...oddly, if I put the machine to sleep during the day for several hours and resume later in the day, the crashes do not occur.  There are no BSODs and there are no dump or mini-dump files saved as a result of these crashes...there are however several errors and warnings in the event viewer which I can share when the time comes.  In the meantime, I've attached the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip and perfmon.zip report files as instructed for a first post.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

The system specs overview is as follows:     

· OS - Windows 10 x64
· Windows 10 original OEM (pre-installed version) of OS
· Age of computer: Sept 2015 (hardware)
· Age of OS installation - 4 days old

· CPU 
Intel Core i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
· Video Cards

Intel HD Graphics 4600

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

· System Manufacturer: Lenovo
· Exact model number: 
Y50-70 Touch 20349

Attached Files

Edited by shingdao, 12 December 2015 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

Can you return the system/exchange it for another one?
That'd be the easiest way to rule out hardware problems at this point.

Beyond that, there isn't anything that stands out in the reports.

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also, as we're looking for evidence of BSOD's - please try running Driver Verifier according to these instructions: http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 shingdao

shingdao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

Hello.  Thank you for your reply.

I haven't yet approached Lenovo to exchange for a new unit but I recall from speaking to Lenovo support previously that they typically first repair any defective machines before offering a replacement and there would also have to be a defined and specific hardware failure identified first before a repair would be initiated.  In the absence of that, I'm at a loss as to inform them what hardware is defective.

I've attached the request Event viewer logs.

The instructions provided for Driver verifier do not appear to apply to Windows 10.  Please advise.

CPIUD is currently measuring CPU temps in the 47-48 C range.  I'll continue to monitor. 

Thanks again. 

Attached Files

Edited by shingdao, 13 December 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:48 AM

It depends on who you purchased it from.  If you purchase from my shop, we give you 14 days to exchange it.

Yesterday I had a system that was 2 days old and had a bad hard drive - so we exchanged it rather than making the customer wait for a repair.

Did you purchase it from Lenovo?  If not, then check with the place that you bought it from.

Sorry about the W10 instructions for Driver Verifier.
I thought that I had updated it for W10 - I must have been mistaken.

But the suggestions for W8.1 are similar, so just follow them until I can update the page later on today.

The Admin log file shows errors with the system firmware.

Have you updated the BIOS/UEFI?  In most cases that's the first step recommended before updating to build 10586 (aka the Fall Update/1511/TH2)

The rest of the errors seem to be of the type we see when updating a well-used system to W10.

As such, here's some of the things to try:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 shingdao

shingdao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

Lenovo replaced my current laptop with a previous one of the same model due to a faulty hinge.  I did not buy the previous laptop from Lenovo but they (Lenovo) offered a replacement under the manufacturer's. warranty since they did not have the parts in stock to perform a timely repair of the old machine.  I could probably try to do that but I will not be able to specify the precise hardware related problem (if that is in fact the case), only the symptoms...I'm sure they'll want to run me through a battery of software diagnostics/fixes before agreeing to exchange for a yet another new machine.  I will pursue this route if I cannot resolve the issue with your help first.

Update and your list:

This morning upon waking the machine from hibernation and logging-in, the computer, for the first time, did not suddenly shut down. It did however shut down unexpectedly yesterday afternoon after a couple hours of non-use and resuming from a hibernating state (the first time its done that during the day)  I should note that I uninstalled and reinstalled fresh versions of the video graphics drivers yesterday after the sudden shut down via Device Manager vs. Lenovo's website (DM apparently has installed more recent versions of these drivers than what Lenovo is offering for download on its website...not sure if this makes a difference though)  

BIOS:  According the Lenovo's website, I have the most recent BIOS version for my machine and OS (LENOVO 9ECN43WW(V3.03), 8/12/2015) and so did not try to update it before running Windows Updates after I initially set up the machine.  Could my BIOS be corrupt?

I'll go through your remaining list of items and also Driver verifier over the next day or so and report back, however please note that my laptop came with a factory install of W10 and it was not upgraded from a previous version of Windows, so I'm curious as to why I'd have all these errors that seem to pertain to upgrading from a previous version of Windows.  Presumably all of the pre-loaded Lenovo software and drivers would have been compatible with W10. I guess there could be some third party software installed by me after initial set up that is not compatible however I made sure to download and install W10 x64 bit verions of all software but its possible something got through. 

Regards.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

I don't know why these errors appear in the Admin event log on your system.

They resemble the errors that I see when I look at an Admin logfile from a system that was used for a while before being updated to W10.

As such I have to wonder if the steps that I usuall suggest for well-used systems might help you - even though your system came w/W10 installed.

And, frankly, the most significant thing about the list is the first item - which helps out with problems in the Windows Store apps.

Beyond that, the rest of the steps (2 - 8) can be applied to any system.

BTW - I haven't been able to update the Driver Verifier page for W10 today.  I'll get to it as soon as I can.

The purpose of running Driver Verifier will be to see if we can cause a BSOD (and capture a memory dump) that will give us some info on what's crashing the system.

There was a STOP 0x156 BSOD listed in the WER section of MSINFO32 - but no memory dump was captured.

If you note from here:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000156

This is a memory dump that's related to your networking (the Winsock thing).

As such:

- update ALL networking drivers (wired, wireless, bluetooth, etc)

- check any 3rd party programs that you may have installed to see if they have a networking component that might be interfering.

- check to see if any antivirus may be interfering.

- check to see if the privacy applications are interfering.

#7 shingdao

shingdao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:41 PM

And, frankly, the most significant thing about the list is the first item - which helps out with problems in the Windows Store apps.

Speaking of which, I started your list with this first one and followed the directions exactly also ensuring MS Edge was closed in Task Manager and when I did all hell broke loose with my apps...after resetting, Powershell gave me a page and half of errors in red text...I rebooted the machine anyway after this and none of my apps worked at all...couldn't even open them...they all has very long text strings attached to the file names too.  I tried a second time and same thing happened, only many more errors this time.  I decided to restore the machine to an earlier date and all is now well with the apps.  I'm hesitant to move ahead with the rest of the list and/or driver verifier as a result.  The laptop managed to get through the day without suddenly crashing but I know this is false sense of security.  

Edited by shingdao, 15 December 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:02 AM

Well then, good luck to you.

#9 shingdao

shingdao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

Hello again,

I continue to have the same issue in terms of the laptop suddenly crashing only as I resume from a sleep or hibernating state.  I've since followed all the items in your list and managed to get a minidump file saved.  I can start a new thread of you wish but if we can continue this one, I've attached the mini-dump file.  I'm hopeful this will shed more light on what's causing the problem.

Thank you.

Attached Files

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

This does not appear to be a Driver Verifier memory dump.

The memory dump blames Netwbw02.sys - a driver for your Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter

Please download a fresh copy, uninstall the current copy, then install the freshly downloaded copy.

Then monitor for further BSOD's

Analysis:
The following is for informational purposes only.
**************************Tue Dec 22 09:44:05.731 2015 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\122215-4859-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 10586 MP (8 procs) Free x64
Built by: 10586.17.amd64fre.th2_release.151121-2308
System Uptime: 0 days 0:47:16.635
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Netwbw02.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Netwbw02.sys
Probably caused by : Netwbw02.sys ( Netwbw02+92575 )
BugCheck A, {8, 2, 0, fffff8019c3f2675}
BugCheck Info: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000008, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000000, bitfield :
    bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
    bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: fffff8019c3f2675, address which referenced memory
BUGCHECK_STR:  AV
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  AV_Netwbw02!Unknown_Function
CPUID:        "Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz"
MaxSpeed:     2600
CurrentSpeed: 2594
  BIOS Version                  9ECN43WW(V3.03)
  BIOS Release Date             08/12/2015
  Manufacturer                  LENOVO
  Product Name                  20349
  Baseboard Product             Lenovo Y50-70 Touch
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only.
Any drivers in RED should be updated or removed from your system. And should have been discussed in the body of my post.
**************************Tue Dec 22 09:44:05.731 2015 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
mwac.sys                    Tue Jun 17 22:07:00 2014 (53A0F444)
tap-tb-0901.sys             Tue Aug 12 03:45:22 2014 (53E9C612)
nvvad64v.sys                Wed Apr  1 10:36:50 2015 (551C0282)
rt640x64.sys                Tue May  5 12:21:03 2015 (5548EDEF)
AcpiVpc.sys                 Fri May 15 01:52:35 2015 (555589A3)
RtsPer.sys                  Fri May 29 02:32:34 2015 (55680802)
RTKVHD64.sys                Tue Jun  2 06:47:59 2015 (556D89DF)
iaStorA.sys                 Wed Jun  3 05:38:57 2015 (556ECB31)
rtsuvc.sys                  Thu Jun 11 04:52:49 2015 (55794C61)
TeeDriverW8x64.sys          Thu Jun 11 21:52:49 2015 (557A3B71)
NvStreamKms.sys             Fri Jun 12 10:10:46 2015 (557AE866)
FBNetFlt.sys                Mon Jun 29 04:30:41 2015 (55910231)
Fastboot.sys                Mon Jun 29 04:30:44 2015 (55910234)
FBFsmon.sys                 Mon Jun 29 04:30:48 2015 (55910238)
Apkbfiltr.sys               Sat Jul 18 21:43:26 2015 (55AB00BE)
MBAMSwissArmy.sys           Wed Jul 29 00:26:01 2015 (55B855D9)
Apfiltr.sys                 Thu Jul 30 05:04:56 2015 (55B9E8B8)
mbam.sys                    Tue Aug 11 13:35:19 2015 (55CA3257)
igdkmd64.sys                Mon Aug 24 16:32:07 2015 (55DB7F47)
nvlddmkm.sys                Wed Oct 14 22:58:52 2015 (561F166C)
intelppm.sys                Thu Oct 29 22:09:51 2015 (5632D16F)
Netwbw02.sys                Tue Nov  3 09:30:10 2015 (5638C4F2)
ibtusb.sys                  Thu Nov 12 14:47:13 2015 (5644ECC1)
aswRdr2.sys                 Tue Dec  1 03:50:56 2015 (565D5F70)
aswRvrt.sys                 Tue Dec  1 03:51:05 2015 (565D5F79)
aswHwid.sys                 Tue Dec  1 03:51:25 2015 (565D5F8D)
aswSnx.sys                  Tue Dec  1 03:51:45 2015 (565D5FA1)
aswVmm.sys                  Tue Dec  1 04:09:37 2015 (565D63D1)
aswStm.sys                  Tue Dec  1 04:15:07 2015 (565D651B)
aswMonFlt.sys               Wed Dec  9 11:00:36 2015 (56685024)
aswSP.sys                   Wed Dec  9 11:16:10 2015 (566853CA)
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=mwac.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=tap-tb-0901.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvvad64v.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=AcpiVpc.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RtsPer.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=iaStorA.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rtsuvc.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=TeeDriverW8x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=NvStreamKms.sys
FBNetFlt.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Fastboot.sys
FBFsmon.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
Apkbfiltr.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=MBAMSwissArmy.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Apfiltr.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=mbam.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=igdkmd64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvlddmkm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Netwbw02.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ibtusb.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswRdr2.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswRvrt.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswHwid.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswSnx.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswVmm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswStm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswMonFlt.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswSP.sys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users