Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers not working after malware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Drickey

Drickey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:50 AM

Hello, bleepingcpmputers,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was recently infected by a Trojan, and after performing a number of scans and registry edits it appears that I've managed to remove it. However I'm still unable to use any of my installed browsers, currently:

• Mozilla Firefox and thunderbird crash on start-up.
  • Internet explorer gives the "this webpage cannot be displayed" page. Previously it displayed a dialogue box reading something like "browser cannot load search engine" but this is no longer occurring.
  • Chrome gives "this webpage cannot be displayed".

The only exception to this is when I open internet explorer via links present in RougeKiller, after which I am able to browse to any page (including search engines).

Using the elevated command prompt I have tried resetting all the associated DNS files and host files to no avail. Antivirus, malware and registry cleaning programs I have run include:

• Malwarebytes
  • SUPERAntiSpyware
  • Adwcleaner
  • aswMBR
  • ComboFix
  • CCleaner

I have also cleared all temporary files several times and have reinstalled Firefox after uninstalling it and deleting the folder stored in "appdata".

At this point I am considering a clean install but this laptop did not come with a windows 7 disk, so the only option I see available is an upgrade to Windows 10, which I will do if necessary (but would rather not otherwise).

Windows update is functioning and all malware removal software are currently able to update their databases, so I know the internet connection is working otherwise.

This all started while I was trying to install drivers to get a Bluetooth dongle working with apt-x, but at this point I think that's a separate issue.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 December 2015 - 03:48 AM.
Moved to AII from Windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:55 AM

You can download a Windows 7 ISO if you have the 25 digit product key from Windows 7

You should be able to request an Install DVD or CD from the manufacturer...there may be a fee for that depending on the manufacturer.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Metallica5456

Metallica5456

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

From an ELEVATED command prompt type:

netsh int ip reset

Press enter

See if that works

0 user(s) are reading this topic