Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To fix an event id 41 I restored the bios to default, now I have no op sys!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 briannab1369

briannab1369

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:11 AM

Dear God, I've done it again somehow.. My daughter's laptop for school started acting up, and we even had a BSOD last weekend.So when it started freezing up earlier today I decided to check the event viewer. There were multiple critical events such as event ID - 2, 225, 219, 41, and 37. After reading quite a bit on every single event I decided to start with Event ID 41- the suggestion was to restore the BIOS to default which I did. The screen immediately went to black turned back on and now is telling me that there is no operating system found. I've tried f8 f10 f12 nothing works. This is a HP 255 laptop from her school running Windows 7 professional, McAfee Security Suite and MBAM. And I believe it is on the schools domain. I could just call the school and have them send out a new computer but she has a lot of personal stuff on there as well as school work that needs to be recovered. Last night I ran ESET online scan and nothing was found. Is all lost? Did I really screw the pooch this time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 briannab1369

briannab1369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:24 AM

BTW.. I forgot to mention... After recievimg the error "Boot device not found" my only option was to press F2 which led me to the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI page. I ran both quick & extensive checks on the memory and hard drive in which both passed both the quick and extensive checks.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

As a first step go back into the BIOS and find your way to the section 'Boot priority' or wording to that effect. Make sure that the hard drive is selected as the first item to boot from then exit and save changes. The computer will restart and hopefully find the hard drive and start Windows running.

As you are probably aware, you need to use the keyboard arrow keys to move around in the BIOS.

If Windows starts up then, as a first step I would advise you back up all her work to some form of external storage before you try going any further.

If it doesn't boot, or you want further advice, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 briannab1369

briannab1369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

That's the problem. No matter what I do I can't get to the BIOS screen the only thing it will do is, when it comes back on it goes to the screen I've attached a picture of: the HP PC hardware diagnostic UEIF options screen nothing works!

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

I would boot to a linux cd, access the hard drive and copy the files you want to save to a usb stick.

#6 briannab1369

briannab1369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

Ok.. I'll give that a try.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:32 PM

According to the User Guide for the HP 255, 'F10' is the key for accessing the BIOS. Try tapping that steadily as soon as you power up the computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:19 PM

in your bios the disk access mode most likely changed from ide/legacy to ACHI   or this laptop turned secureboot back on and now you have to go in and turn it off

#9 briannab1369

briannab1369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:54 PM

So, I found a system repair disk I had made when she first received the laptop. I put it in pressed f10 and voila.. I was finally able to get to the bios. I enabled legacy boot and it booted up. So... Do I need to go back in and disable it again? What do I do from here?
Doesn't the fact that I enabled legacy make her system now more vulnerable?

#10 briannab1369

briannab1369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

Oh and yes I did see that secure boot was enabled

#11 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:17 AM

Win 7 was not made with compatibility for secure boot... the school turned that off to install windows 7.

In a way it is less secure... but that is not something that you can fix unless you move to win8 or 10.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

What do I do from here?

Now that you have the computer up and running show your daughter how to back up her data, work and any personal stuff to external storage. I don't suppose she needs more than a medium size memory stick but even if she needs a couple of TBs of external storage she will have learnt an important lesson. Lack of backups turns the nuisance of a failed computer into a crisis !

As for the computer, so long as you have it running again I would leave well enough alone.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2015 - 07:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users