Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting GNS3 to Internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 harrypotin

harrypotin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:30 AM

BTW!! I am able to connect to the internet via GNS3 Router.  My question is about the IP Address that's assigned to the router!

Here it goes:

So this is my set up in GNS3:

Router 1 --->  Cloud (using my local MS loopback interface)

I had been struggling to get my router to the internet for a while. I'd run ipconfig and found that my wireless was using an IP of 10.x.x.x with a gateway of .1. So obviously, I was trying to manually assign my MS loopback a random address of like 10.x.x.25 (/24, so still within the same subnet).  But it never worked!!

Finally gave up, and then a new idea hit me.  I set my MS loopback as "receive IP via DHCP", and also my GNS3 router interface that's facing the loopback cloud as "receive IP via DHCP".

They both received an IP Address of 192.168.x.x!!! and it connected to the internet as well. Duh.. no wonder my manual 10.x.x.x didn't work.

I did an ipconfig/all.... I just could not see a 192.168.x.x subnet in there at all.. no trace of it, just 10.x.x.x was present. Isn't 10.x.x.x already NAT'ed?

Where DID this 192.168.x.x IP come from?  Please clarify!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:15 AM

My guess your router is 192.168.0.0 and your loopback you set to dhcp. So it pulled a ip from the routers dhcp.

Edited by technonymous, 12 December 2015 - 06:25 AM.

#3 harrypotin

harrypotin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:38 AM

Oh. Well in the ipconfig, my wireless is shown to have an IP Address from the subnet 10.0.0.0. But my virtual router got an Ip from the 192.168.0.0 subnet. Why the difference? I was hoping that my virtual router would receive an IP in the subnet as my real router which is 10.0.0.x

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:30 AM

Did you setup the virtual router to do dhcp pooling? Either the virtual router or physical router had to assign it that ip. Unless this a default setting built into the preferences in the GNS3 program. To get the virtual router to ping the physical router everything needs to be on the same 192.168.0.0 subnet or 10.0.0.0 The virtual cloud you can switch it to your physcial adapter. If that is what you want to do.

Found a couple youtube vids I recommend you watch. To get an idea how all this works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC-n8Jy88dY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1oubidWbU

Edited by technonymous, 13 December 2015 - 05:37 AM.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

"using my local MS loopback interface"

Notice that word "loopback" ?  What do you think that means?

You can not use the msloopback for any network access.  Not lan or wan.  It is meant to fool a local program into thinking it has network access.

Your network access at 192x would be via a actual network adapter.  Might want to post the results of a ipconfig /all for our review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users