Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Site bypasses ISP throttling, wondering if I could use a VPN for similar result

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RNGreed

RNGreed

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:12 AM

So I have pretty terrible satellite internet. During peak hours I get single digit KB/s speeds. But then to my surprise I found that by downloading a file off of mega.nz I get the absolute full throughput of my bandwidth of 128 KB/s at all times.

I found some documentation of what protocol mega uses and the encryption that they use https://mega.nz/#doc (navigate to the Under the Hood section)

Here is some more information on what mega.nz uses https://www.quora.com/How-do-Mega-downloads-work

My question is, is it possible to use a VPN to get all of my traffic the same type as whatever mega.nz uses? Bandwidth is unlimited at no extra charge so it would be nice to get the advertised speed for my connection. There are many kinds of protocol and many kinds of encryption for VPN services so I'm hoping for a reply from a person very knowledgeable with the ins and outs of VPNs. It might not even be a VPN issue, it could be something very abnormal with how Mega downloads. As you can see by the above quara link, mega doesn't work on any browser but chrome due to all of the features it requires.

Edited by RNGreed, 12 December 2015 - 12:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:23 AM

Encryption doesn't make connections and data throughput faster. Infact it makes it worse. VPN encryption is more overhead than a non-encrypted connection. The mega.nz just has a nice connection and better upload speed to you. Distance to their server can also be a factor resulting in better connections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users