Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram GB is dropping since I bought this pc. Is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyFootball

JohnnyFootball

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

I just bought a 8.1 pc with 8.gb installed on it. Intel i-3 4170 3.70GHz processor, Integrated graphics 4400.

I know I don't have a dedicated graphics card and I'm trying to find out if THATS the reason I'm losing GB (currently at 855 GB and dropping) . The first time I checked my GB I saw it at 875 GB and ever since, it's been dropping. I was completely oblivious about the whole graphics card sharing thing and GB-Ram dropping (If thats normal). I  would've never bought this had I known this. I'm new to integrated graphics sharing so please bear with me. I've read that if you restart your pc, the ram is suppose to refresh to it's normal state, is this true? Because I already tried and it doesn't go back up to 875 gb, it just stays at where its at. Help me understand this, guys.  Also, will all the ram waste away until it's all gone?

Edited by JohnnyFootball, 11 December 2015 - 11:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:12 AM

8 Gig of Ram = Memory , this will fluctuate depending what Programs require memory and when.

855 GB is , i assume your Hard Drive space { 1 TB Drive } this should stay the same unless you add data to that drive,

If the Hard Drive is reducing in size for no reason , then it would probably be Cookies , Temp Files , Browsing , or System Restore Points accumilating.

Try Ccleaner Program  https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download   The Free Version.

Install and Run the Cleaner / Analyze / then Clean Tab.

System Restore Points will show up in Tools Tab of Ccleaner / Highlight and Remove Old Points.

Do not run the Registry Cleaner Tab.

Did you gain space on the hard Drive ?

#3 JohnnyFootball

JohnnyFootball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:32 AM

Yes I did. It was at 855 GB and it went to 875 GB and it just dropped to 856 GB an hour later. I want to know if this is normal, am I going to have to use ccleaner to restore some back everytime? Also will it continue dropping until its all gone, is this how it works? Another question, is there any way I can bring the GB (Yes its 1TB Drive) to its normal GB 875 GB like when I first got it?

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:05 AM

It sounds like your PC has lot of system restore points and unnecessary files taking your disk space.

Please download TreeSize Free from this website. Install it, run it as administrator, click scan, and select your drive. Post a screenshot of the result.

Next, please run disk cleanup and delete everything it found, then open elevated CMD and run the following command:

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

Check whether if you gain any space.

Edited by batman1234, 12 December 2015 - 03:07 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 JohnnyFootball

JohnnyFootball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:43 AM

Thank you, guys for answering I really do appreciate the help. Batman, I ran the cmd and my gb jumped from 857 GB to 858 GB lol. Here's the screenshot. I also have one game downloaded so I know it could be from that as well. But after I'm done playing the game or doing something that requires ram isn't it suppose to return when I'm done?

Edited by JohnnyFootball, 12 December 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#6 JohnnyFootball

JohnnyFootball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

Screenshot.

Attached Files

Edited by JohnnyFootball, 12 December 2015 - 06:53 AM.

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:39 AM

System restore points is taking 8.4GB of disk space, we need to remove them but keep the latest one.

Run CCleaner -> Tools -> System Restore, delete all of them but keep the latest restore point (CCleaner doesn't allow you to delete the latest one so delete any that can be deleted). Check whether free space increases.

Next, please follow the instruction of my previous post.

If you want you can also disable hibernate to gain some GBs space. Open elevated command prompt and type the following command:

powercfg -h off

You should gain lot of space, but disable hibernate will also disable fast startup which can increase boot time, unless you have SSD.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

Open the Search Charm and type in system.

One of the options that opens below the search box is PC info, select this.

In the window that opens find Installed RAM, it will first show the amount of RAM installed, then in parenthesis you will see the amount of usable RAM.  You have been viewing the usable amount of RAM, this is fluctuating because of the different processes using the resource.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 JohnnyFootball

JohnnyFootball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

That worked, batman. Thanks! I now have 868 GB! 4 GB gained by deleting some system restores and 6 more by disabling hibernate. And I have an HDD.

@ Bats Oh and did you mean to delete all the apps found in disk cleanup? Should I do that? @ dc3 I see the installed ram but not the usable amount :(  Am I going to have to restore gb like this every time in order to gain some back?

Edited by JohnnyFootball, 12 December 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#10 JohnnyFootball

JohnnyFootball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

Is it okay to keep hibernate off with an HDD? What's recommended?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

@ dc3 I see the installed ram but not the usable amount :(  Am I going to have to restore gb like this every time in order to gain some back?

You will always have the amount of RAM which is installed in that computer.  What you are seeing is how much RAM is being used by processes, or the amount still available (usable RAM).  This figure will change with any changes in the use of processes.

Edited by dc3, 12 December 2015 - 03:02 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 JohnnyFootball

JohnnyFootball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

@ dc3 I see the installed ram but not the usable amount :(  Am I going to have to restore gb like this every time in order to gain some back?

You will always have the amount of RAM which is installed in that computer.  What you are seeing is how much RAM is being used by processes, or the amount still available (usable RAM).  This figure will change with any changes in the use of processes.

It just went from 862 GB to 860. Will it ever at one point stop dropping? This is worrying me

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,006 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

JohnnyFootball:

You are clearly confusing RAM and hard disc drive space.   If you have 8GB of RAM you have 8GB of RAM, varying amounts of it will be in use at any given moment in time, and part of it will be in constant use by the operating system, if you open your system properties (and I can't recall how to do this on Windows 8 since I skipped that release) you will see something similar to:

Attached File  System_About_Properties.jpg   82.55KB   0 downloads

Which shows you your total RAM along with the amount available for you to use (as the remaining portion is reserved by Windows).

You can expect the amount of disc space to decrease as you use the computer more due to a wide number of factors, but it isn't an inexorable decline down to zero.  Having over 800GB of a 1 TB drive available isn't alarming, particularly once system backups, data files (possibly copied over from another system - I don't know whether you've done this) etc., are taken into account.

It will take you a very long time to fill up 800GB of space if you're a normal/average/typical user.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#14 JohnnyFootball

JohnnyFootball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

You're right. I've been confused about Ram and hard disk drive space. Ram is okay but drive space is dropping. It's at 859 GB now and as it drops will my pc get slower?  I know to get hard disk space back I can use ccleaner, delete some system restores or disable hibernate. I don't like disk space being lost, it bothers me a lot lol. What can I do about this?

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,006 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

JohnnyFootball,

You can't "do anything" about this because it's normal!!

As you create files using programs, download stuff from the internet (and that includes stuff that's used by your web browser to present you web pages, not stuff you're intentionally downloading and saving), etc., you will lose some of the free space you had when the machine was fresh out of the box and hadn't yet been used for anything.

If you're going to worry about the tiny amounts of disk space changes that you've seen so far you need to really reconsider your constant monitoring of same.  It will drive you insane.

Unless you fill your main system disk drive to 90% or more of it's user usable capacity it should have no impact at all on how quickly your computer runs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users