Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop internet slow down and disconnects from wifi

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

Before a couple of days ago, the wifi on my laptop worked perfectly with my home network since forever.

Now, suddenly a couple days ago, it has problems.

Web page retrieval will become extremely slow (like..virtually not working), and video streams will die or buffer etc. If I repeatedly ping the router during this, it will be sometimes unreachable, and then a second later i'm pinging like 3000ms, 780ms, etc, and then 60ms, and then unreachable, etc.

Then (this is windows 7), when I look in the network thing on the taskbar, I just won't be connected to a network anymore at all. It doesn't reconnect, I have to manually click on it to reconnect. When I do, it fails and the windows troubleshooter comes up, does its thing and then the network connects (usually, sometimes it takes a couple tries).

The problem seems to happen during the evening hours (?!) and then at other times everything is working fine for hours at a time, and then this problem will repeatedly happen over a couple hours too.

Rebooting the router doesn't help. When the problem has happened, I've rebooted the router (and the laptop) and the problems continue.

I don't understand why this has suddenly started happening and I wonder if I am under attack, or, if there is some kind of interference from a neighbor (or unmarked van lol).

While this is happening, other computers and tv are using the wifi No Problem.

Adwcleaner, mbam, avast, all clean.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

This problem was caused by WinHttpAutoProxySvc

It's never caused a problem before, and I suspect it was never running before but I don't know. But now (at the time of this issue) it was running all the time and causing those problems described above.

I disabled it and the problems went away.

Is that a sign of infection/attack?

I wish I knew what was triggering it to run, and why it was causing the problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users