Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What PS for an Asus P8Z77-VLX

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 leachim

leachim

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

I just got this MB and wonder what PS I should use - don't want to do extreme things with it

Just noticed an 8 pin connector and nothing else besides the 24 pin PS connector

Would it work with just the 24 pin ? I have a PS with a white 4 pin MB connector - does that go in one side of the 8 pin socket ?

See attachment

I have a PS with a 6 pin MB connector which fits into 6 of the slots of the 8 pin - would this be useful or would I end up harming it

Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

Amazon has fairly reliable evga psus for 39.99 and up depending on the wattaage.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

Please post the make and model of this motherboard?

Almost all PSUs manufactured now will have the 8 pin connector for the motherboard.

In order to determine what PSU to choose you need to take into consideration a few things.  For example, if you are going to be using a dedicated graphics card.  Some of these can require a PSU rated at 500 watts or more at a current rating as high as 30 amps on the 12VDC rail.

If you post what all is going to be installed we can makes specific suggestions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:22 AM

The 6 pin you have is for the video card NOT the 8 pin on the motherboard and should not be used there. That is the CPU power supply and you will need either a 4 pin or a 8 pin connector depending on what CPU you have. Most power supplies these days have a 2 x 4 pin connector that can be clipped together to accommodate a separate 8 pin and 4 pin. If your CPU only requires a 4 pin, then the 4 pin connects to one half the 8 pin connector-usually the top. If your CPU requires an 8 pin you have to have a 8 pin connector.

Most motherboards will accommodate a wide variety of cpus which is why they put a 8 pin in even if it may not be required. So check your CPU power requirements before deciding what power connector to use. May just be wise to just use an 8 pin, it won't hurt anything even if the CPU only needs a 4 pin. And again, most PSUs these days will accommodate both, or at the very least have an 8 pin, but double check the specs before ordering.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

And like dc3 suggested if you post all your hardware we can give you a more informed answer to your question. :-)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users