Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Speeds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jawknee912

jawknee912

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:20 AM

I'm wondering if anyone can clarify some things for me. I'm wondering what the real world difference between 54mbs and 108mb/s. I actually dont really understand any of the megabit/megabyte per second stuff. I know its 8bits per byte. If i'm downloading at 200megabits/second do i divide it by 8 to get megabytes/second? Also, in my system tray it says the connection is at 100Mbps. Is that just the theoretical throughput? Is my 3meg cable faster than that or not? Any clarificatin would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

Yes: 1 byte is 8 bits.

Generally everything computer related is measured in bits, except file-size related stuff, which is measured in bytes.

Bit is shortened with a small b, while byte is shortened with a capital B.

When you download a file on the internet the download speed is reported in bytes. So if you somehow got a 200 MB/s download speed then it is 200 Megabytes per second.

The 100 Mbps (Megabits per second) reported in the system tray is the max throughput of the ethernet port on your computer. Dividing it by 8 you get the throughput in bytes instead, which is 12.5 MBps (Megabytes per second). Your cable connections is 3 Mbps (Megabits per second) or 375 kBps (Kilobyte per second), which isn't even close to your ethernet port throughput.

The kilo and mega and so on are the standard SI prefixes you learned about in school.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:34 AM

So my question is... How would I go about "maximizing" my ethernet throughput?

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

Well, if you are wanting to increase your ethenet through put you will have to replace your hardware and replace your network card's with gigabit card's and change your switches with ethernet switches. (THIS WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION, THAT IS DETERMINED BY YOUR ISP). If you change your ethernet card's etc you will then have 1Gbps (Gigabit per second) which is pointless unless you are running a big network. Huge networks will run 10Gbps card's and switches which is very fast because huge networks have a lot, and I mean a lot of computers and data traveling through the wire all the time. Gigabit ethernet is expensive.

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 27 July 2006 - 03:07 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

another interesting ancedote>you can only download as fast as the server can upload. so you can have an 8 MB connection, but go to the asus website to download drivers, you get almost dial up speeds, you get something from google, they have massive UL bandwidth (as you can imagine being the biggest search engines on the web), so you get full pipe on that. i find that a lot of isp's put a big cap on your UL for a residential account, bit of a bugger is you are serving anything.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users