Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peterjohn001

peterjohn001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:33 PM

Hi,
i had installed windows and then i installed ubuntu on windows but somehow due to some errors i have lost all my data so can anyone suggest me so that i can recover my all the data.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2015 - 01:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

Note that only data that has NOT been overwritten with new data can be recovered.

One popular recovery program is Recuva, (the freeware version is fine).

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

I too would recommend Recuva, I have used it successfully several times but assuming you do manage to recover as much of your data as possible then your best bet is to re-install Windows, if that is also broken, then head over to the Linux section of BC and read/ask about how to set up a dual booting system.

You are not alone in this. The first time I tried to install Linux I wiped a 500GB drive with about 400GB of data on it !  Happily, all the important stuff on that drive was backed up. For the future - always back up your data before you try something of this sort. You should be doing regular backups on your data in any case. After all it is the only important stuff on your computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:30 PM

Another good tool to try:  MiniTool Power Data Recovery, free version will recover the recoverable up to 1GB, the Pro pay-for is unlimited.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users