Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there an App for Android to suppress phone/SMS from strangers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:23 PM

I have been plagued with calls and SMS messages from strangers, received on a Jitterbug brand not-so-smart cell phone from GreatCall. In hopes of suppressing these, I have ordered the the Jitterbug Touch 3 cell phone, which (according to the GreatCall Web site), runs Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean).  While waiting for the phone to arrive, I am reading up on security- and privacy-related apps that I might purchase to install on the new cell phone.

Is there an app that I could install and configure so that only phone calls and SMS messages from persons already known to me (in my address book, or in a white-list) can get through to me?

I am concerned that it is too easy for fraudsters to associate my cell-phone number with my name, or even with other PII (personally adentifyable information) about me.  For example, I recently received a phone call, apparently from a bank, inquiring about charges made to a credit card from that bank, with my name and phone number associated with the account. Fortunately, I have been assured by the manager of a local branch bank manager of that bank that there is no such credit card associated with me, probably because my SSN (social security number) did not get loose.  Nevertheless, it could affect my reputation if I were to fall for phishing phone calls and e-mails, and to help prevent this, I would like an app that could suppress phone calls, SMS messages, etc., from persons that are either (a) not in my cell phone's address book, or ( B) not in a white-list of approved callers.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Moved topic from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.tn_software.callblocker&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vladlee.easyblacklist

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visinor.phonewarrior

?

#3 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:58 AM

Thank you, Mr. SpywareDoc!  I will try the Whitelist Call Blocker from Tino Nimmerjahn when my new cell phone arrives. Based on what I read at his Web site, it seems that is the app for which I am looking!

Edited by RuddyDuck, 12 December 2015 - 01:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users