Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ellittle678

ellittle678

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

I work for a small IT company and I'm the new guy in the office, so I'm usually the guy who has to repair the PCs that come in. I don't mind this process at all usually, until I get to windows freaking updates.

I've spent so much time troubleshooting windows updates since I've been here. Does anyone have any tips for getting updates to check properly the first time? Or any solutions you would recommend?

For example, I'm working on a PC now, just reinstalled Windows, but updates get stuck "Checking for updates". I tried booting in safe mode, stop/starting the services "Windows update" and "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", but it's still getting stuck. I'll try some other things, but it would be nice to not have to go through this every computer I reinstall Windows on.

If anyone knows the struggle I'm describing and has any suggestions for the current issue and/or tips for future issues, please let me know! Tytytttyytyty!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

At all three ISDs I sub-teach for, I used to be firewall-blocked for so many many web sites, I had IT write me into their wireless [can be done for ethernet also] with my username and IT-supplied password.  Now, only some pages are blocked, many are now unblocked.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 December 2015 - 11:33 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

Have you tried using the Update Readiness tool?

Try this...  

Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ellittle678

ellittle678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the quick responses! Yeah dc3, I tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter few minutes before I saw your post. Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue.

I'm now restarting it after trying Microsoft Fix it 50202.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

Based on some Internet rumors it seems Microsoft is giving more priority to the Windows 10 updates/installs and many users of Windows 7 are facing this long waiting when downloading the updates!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 ellittle678

ellittle678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

No offense, but I find that a little hard to believe. Do you have a link or something where this was brought up?

This happens all the time with Windows updates, where it just hangs on "Checking for updates". 

Still not working, it's been on checking for almost an hour now.

#7 ellittle678

ellittle678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

Vista was the OS it came with, so maybe an issue with that but I've already activated Windows 7...so not sure.

#8 ellittle678

ellittle678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

I remember hearing Windows 7 requires Windows SP1 to be installed for some fixes. I'll try that.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

“I'm working on a PC now, just reinstalled Windows …”

“I remember hearing Windows 7 requires Windows SP1 to be installed for some fixes.”

“Vista was the OS it came with, so maybe an issue with that but I've already activated Windows 7...so not sure.”

In my experience, whenever upgrading Vista to Windows 7, I’ve always made sure all issues as well as Windows Updates are fine. But in your case, that is beyond your control.

--- In other words make sure all maintenance & security items are completed beforehand.

Moving on to installing Windows 7, yes it needs to be updated to SP1 as well as IE11.

--- How are you installing Win7 instead of Win7 SP1?

When doing so there are multiple Win7 Windows Updates to install.

I usually do them in blocks and I usually save the .Nets for last.

--- Even though this takes “more time” to me its worth avoiding “extra time” addressing failed Windows Updates and stuck on checking for updates when that has happened.

I know that some people do them all at once but that’s when I see many failures and sometimes stuck on checking for updates as you mention

BTW was the Win7 upgrade advisor run before upgrading to Windows 7?

And does your IT company or can you implement a scheduled system image backups on those computers?

#10 ellittle678

ellittle678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for your response cmptrgy!

--- In other words make sure all maintenance & security items are completed beforehand.

What do you mean by maintenance & security items? I would like to know for future reference.

Moving on to installing Windows 7, yes it needs to be updated to SP1 as well as IE11.

--- How are you installing Win7 instead of Win7 SP1?

Ah, upgrading to IE11 now. 

I realize the initial Win7 Professional (version in use is Professional 64 bit) I used to install is SP1. I was under the impression SP1 came after the initial release -___-.

Interesting, saving the .Nets updates for last? (On other Windows installs) I do constantly run into updates that fail on other PCs as well. I'll go that route once it starts to find updates.

The problem is, since Win7 has been installed it hasn't found updates. Still hanging on "Checking for Updates"

Upgrade advisor was not ran, I'll run it, but this PC shouldn't have any trouble with 7. However, I'll let you know what it says afterwards.

We can implement a scheduled system image backup. I'm not sure if you mean to backup the system image moving forward, or if you mean to go back to a system image backup.

Edited by ellittle678, 11 December 2015 - 03:13 PM.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

On my method for doing the multiple Windows Updates when upgrading to the next OS: in your case from Vista to Win7: the same principle applies. Please note that my method is based on my experience and not an exact step-by-step procedure: I am not an expert but just a cmptrgy. Also I have had many “scoffs” from the method I use but that’s all right, it has saved me from a lot of “extra time” compared to installing everything at once. Since you show an interest I’ll try to explain how I go about this.

I have been volunteering for a non-profit organization since 2004 and they have about 200 volunteers. Someone is always bringing in their computer. Right now I’ll cover Windows Updates.

I did about 12, maybe 15 computers at first getting caught up in multiple failed updates as well as some stuck on checking for updates. So I decided I would develop a better system.

Typically I look at the list of all of the Windows Updates that should be done and then I start off by selecting a block of 5 security updates and see how that goes. If the computer is in good shape, I can move on to doing 10 at a time. Other categories are also selected in blocks starting with 5 at first moving onto 10 at a time. The reason I do the .Net’s last is because that’s where I’ve seen so many failures, so when it’s time to install them I do so  in “numerical” order starting with the lowest version. Naturally those are subjective decisions but I’ve had very few problems doing it this way over the years. It isn’t a perfect system as there usually are a few failures by the time all “200” updates are completed, but it’s a lot easier to address those few vs. multiple failures. I’ve also challenged some experts I know on what they do right in front of them: well, I’m still doing what I do because it still works best for what I have to do. So that amounts a caveat: for systems that are well maintained and the user has a very good degree of expertise, many time multiple Windows Updates are not much of a problem; but for the computers I’m getting they are problematic and I just take them in stride.

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

No offense, but I find that a little hard to believe. Do you have a link or something where this was brought up?

This happens all the time with Windows updates, where it just hangs on "Checking for updates". 

Still not working, it's been on checking for almost an hour now.

I couldn't find any official information only threads like this one it happens on clean installs of Windows 7 SP1.

There could be other explanation, Microsoft released recently some updates to the Windows Update Client because of the Windows 10 Upgrade and other things, the communication between the clients and servers could be different now and the original client included on Windows 7 SP1 have some troubles connecting until updated...

Examples:

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083324

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#13 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Personally I like using WSUS Offline Update  (http://download.wsusoffline.net) to get a large proportion of the updates outta the way...

but even after that running the windows update can be brutally slow... especially if you are staring at it...

For reinstalling fresh start looking at slipstreaming your updates into your install media... I do this by command line and much instruction from msfn.org ... if you want the easy way check out https://www.ntlite.com/

Happy computing...

#14 ellittle678

ellittle678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

Ahh, could be what was going on SleepyDude.

I'll definitely check out WSUS offline update for future AngryRaisin!

I left it checking for updates over the weekend, came back, still checking for updates....

Didn't find a solution, but went a different route! 

I wiped it again and did a fresh install of 7, but stuck checking for updates again. I decided I'd try Vista instead of 7 (since it came with Vista), so I downloaded the .iso, clicked check for updates, and just like that, they started downloading.

I guess the processor or something may not like 7? Idk, should be able to have 7 on it, but Vista will do.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys! Happy holidays xD

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the quick responses! Yeah dc3, I tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter few minutes before I saw your post. Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue.

I'm now restarting it after trying Microsoft Fix it 50202.

What did the troubleshooter report?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users