Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Will Not Pass Bios

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:28 AM

problem - dell computer boots up to "Dell Logo" screen, the "status bar" on that screen that normally goes across does not move at all, it does not even begin to move, it is stuck there, computer will not recognize any external devices such as mouse. keyboard, so i can not get into bios settings, and can not boot from a cd or usb

things i have tried....

- unplug computer hold down power button for 60 seconds

- remove cmos battery and jumper pins, let computer sit for hours

- replace cmos batter with known good battery

- replace power supply with known good power supply

- remove ram sticks

- clean ram sticks/slots

- replace ram sticks one at a time trying both slots with both sticks

- disconnected EVERYTHING from motherboard except fans, power, and ram

- tested hard drive, it is 100% okay

all of the above give the exact same result, nothing changes,

is it safe to assume this is a motherboard issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:54 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Do you see the BIOS splash screen when the computer is booting?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:05 PM

the keyboard does not function, so i can not boot to safe mode or get into bios settings,

yes i see the bios screen with the progress bar, and the dell logo, but the bar does not move, it is frozen at that screen

i see the push F2 for settings, or push F12 to select boot device, but once again, can not select these because the keyboard does not function,

Edited by mikey11, 11 December 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

It it is getting to the BIOS splash screen it is getting through the POST, this is an indication that the problem is with the operating system.  

I realize that this probably won't work either, but it has to be tried.  Restart the computer and open the BIOS.

In order to make a repair you will need to be able to use a bootable disc, so you will need to change the boot order so that the optical drive is the first device and the hdd is the second.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

It it is getting to the BIOS splash screen it is getting through the POST

it is not getting through the post,

i have attached a pic,

when it gets to the BIOS splash screen there is a status bar that normally goes from left to right, this bar does not move, the computer is frozen at this point,

the post does not even begin,

i can not open the BIOS,

i can not boot from a cd or usb

the computer is frozen at this point with no keyboard functions working

Attached Files

• Attached File  dell.jpg   83.19KB   0 downloads

Edited by mikey11, 11 December 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

the keyboard does not function

Correct. You are not POSTing and the keyboard is not being recognized by the CMOS; I suspect (although you did not say) that you are not hearing the system keyboard recognition beep that normally happens on boot. I don't know how your keyboard is connected (serial, USB or wireless) but whatever it is, remove and clean the port and plug it back in. If no joy, swap the keyboard with one that you know works. Preferably, if possible, a serial port keyboard with a direct connection. Try that and post back with results.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

the keyboard does not function

Correct. You are not POSTing and the keyboard is not being recognized by the CMOS; I suspect (although you did not say) that you are not hearing the system keyboard recognition beep that normally happens on boot. I don't know how your keyboard is connected (serial, USB or wireless) but whatever it is, remove and clean the port and plug it back in. If no joy, swap the keyboard with one that you know works. Preferably, if possible, a serial port keyboard with a direct connection. Try that and post back with results.

no "beeps" heard at all,

i tried a usb keyboard, i also tried a keyboard that connects with the round small connector that has about 6 pins in it (not sure of the name) the connector is purple in color, neither of them work,

i know the keyboard works, i am typing on it right now using a different tower/computer

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

Just for the Record, it goes through the POST first then the BIOS starts running.  If you are seeing the Dell splash screen with the BIOS loading it has already run through the POST.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

"...i tried a usb keyboard, i also tried a keyboard that connects with the round small connector that has about 6 pins in it (not sure of the name) the connector is purple in color, neither of them work,.."  PS/2 is that connector

I know this is going to sound crazy, however, as a former phone tech for a computer company, a rare thing happens:  an external monitor gets a particular pin bent or suddenly is missing connection, rendering the keyboard and mouse inoperable, what I cannot remember: if that particular bent or missing pin also froze PC at BIOS.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 December 2015 - 03:31 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

"...i tried a usb keyboard, i also tried a keyboard that connects with the round small connector that has about 6 pins in it (not sure of the name) the connector is purple in color, neither of them work,.."  PS/2 is that connector

I know this is going to sound crazy, however, as a former phone tech for a computer company, a rare thing happens:  an external monitor gets a particular pin bent or suddenly is missing connection, rendering the keyboard and mouse inoperable

thanks, but im using the same monitor and cable as the computer im typing on right now, so that can not be the problem,

although i do not want to admit it......this has to be the motherboard......no?

Edited by mikey11, 11 December 2015 - 04:41 PM.

#11 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Just for the Record, it goes through the POST first then the BIOS starts running.  If you are seeing the Dell splash screen with the BIOS loading it has already run through the POST.

i guess you might be right in technical terms, my apologies

Edited by mikey11, 11 December 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:09 PM

Good read on BIOS / POST: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios1.htm

Well, let's review:

> You reset the BIOS back to factory default....failed

> You replaced the Power Supply.....failed.  Sidethought: if you do much of this, you might consider getting a power supply tester. They are cheap and can save you hours of head-scratching and/or expense.

> You tested the memory sticks....passed

> You tested the HDD  .................passed

> You removed the memory sticks, cleaned all contacts, replaced........failed

> You check the keyboard contacts, exchanged to a new keyboard using both USB and serial port type.....failed

When a computer cannot POST, you have a low-level hardware failure and there are only 4 things that can cause this: Power Supply failure, BIOS chip failure or corruption, CPU failure, or Motherboard failure (basically same as BIOS failure). Statistically, rarely does a CPU fail; in the years I have been doing this, I have had only two CPUs blow out on me. When a CPU blows and you power up, you get power to the mainboard, all fans (including the CPU heatsink fan) spin up, but everything remains unresponsive, and the monitor remains dark. No picture or video signal. However, Motherboards fail regularly, and that is the only viable cause at this point, unfortunately. I just had the same problem with you this week with an old Dell unit, and it was the BIOS exhibiting the same symptoms as yours, and this is fairly common. I have them come across my bench all the time. IMHO, your mainboard failed. Sorry. 

Edited by ranchhand_, 11 December 2015 - 06:11 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#13 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:02 AM

thanks, the motherboard was my original thinking, just wanted confirmation

Edited by mikey11, 12 December 2015 - 08:03 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

@ranchhand

The following is excerpt from PC Guide.

The first thing that the BIOS does when it boots the PC is to perform what is called the Power-On Self-Test, or POST for short. The POST is a built-in diagnostic program that checks your hardware to ensure that everything is present and functioning properly, before the BIOS begins the actual boot.

#15 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

If a Dell computer locks up on the logo screen it means that it has failed POST.  If the computer is not beeping and the num/scroll/caps lock keys are not flashing remove all connections, including monitor and test system by plugging in one connection in at a time.  You can get your POST beep codes at

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN179164/en

Based upon my experience (I managed a university equipment repair service and did desktop support on Dells) you have a dead motherboard.  But the diagnostic stated above will confirm that.

Edited by GoFigure, 14 December 2015 - 02:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users