Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, Unmountable boot volume

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smrboyd1

smrboyd1

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

Working on my computer (windows 7, 64bit) last night and it went haywire and started to reboot. When I finally got to see the BSOD, it said Unmountable Boot Volume. I cannot get into safe mode. I tried to boot from a recovery disk but that failed. If I don't press F8 on startup, it goes to the screen where my options are Launch startup repair or start windows normally, if I choose repair, it just sits on that blues screen with the dove and a cursor but no instructions or boxes ever come up. I did manage to get into diagnostics and it said the short self test failed on the hard drive. I know that means it may fail soon or already be failed. How do I know which it is and is there anything else I can try. I need data off of it if at all possible.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Am386SXL

Am386SXL

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

I'm speaking under correction, but if a hard drive fails a short test it means that the read/write heads is malfunctioning. Which makes it considerably harder to retrieve data from it.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

In general, if the HDD fails the short test, the long test is advisable.

In most cases failing the short test will lead to a failure in the long test (but not all of the time).

The priority here is to backup your data - as you don't when/if the hard drive will die completely (it may already be dead).

Also, each subsequent use increases the chances of a compete failure - so data backup is still the first priority.

After that you can mess with diagnostics to your heart's content.

To do this, you'll need either:

- slave the hard drive to another system and copy the data off it that way.

- a bootable OS disk, an external device to copy the data to, and the ability to boot the OS and copy data from the dead/dying hard drive to the external device.

After that's done, here's a link to some bootable HDD tests:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Other diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 smrboyd1

smrboyd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:57 PM

I was able to get in and get all my files with Linux. It was all in tact and I'm curious as to why, if it's failing. I'm also suspicious that it is a windows issue as well. Waiting on my disks to be sent to me so I can try to repair, as it was preloaded on my machine and the repair disk I made didn't work. I will also try those HDD tests. Thank you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:39 AM

There's a lot of different ways that this is possible.  I'm able to discuss some of them, but others are just a mystery to me.

There are many different reasons for a hard drive to die (I don't know all of them)

Some will cause the hard drive to stop working immediately.

Others will start spitting errors out - and the error correcting mechanisms on the drive and in Windows will help to sort out the errors.

What you'll see in this case is intermittent errors, and problems performing operations.

For example, if the hard drive is having trouble reading, the system will recheck the results of the read as many times as needed to ensure that it has the correct data.

In doing so you may wait a long time before an operation can complete.

Depending on where and what type errors you have, if some of them are in the beginning of the drive the system may not even be able to mount the drive.  Hence the "unmountable boot volume.

It's possible that other things can cause this - but the failed HDD test is suggestive of a hard drive problem and the extended/long test will help to confirm/rule this out.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users