Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I solve problems with Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, Version 1511, 10586?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

Hi all!

I just built myself a new workstation computer with MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit version 10.0.10240, which runs just fine, except that every time I launch Windows Update, the 'Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, Version 1511, 10586' update keeps failing, over and over again.

I have ran FRST64 (did not fix anyting) in an attempt to document any anomalies, like i.e. missing system files, if any; and it turns out that I am missing BCM42RLY.sys and wfpcapture.sys, but I do not know if these are related to the update problem... :unsure:

It is not malware related either, as I have EAM Pro, WinPatrol PLUS and HMP.A with CryptoGuard as my security setup, and my browser is Mozilla Firefox 32-bit with the add-ons Web Of Trust, Adblock Plus and Ghostery for additional security. :thumbup2:

When I launch Windows Update, it prompts me to uninstall an app called BUFFALO TurboPC EX Series, which is related to my external HDD, but fails to uninstall it when I press the uninstall button, and I cannot find this app installed either as it does not show up, but I did manage to uninstall the main backup app, however this did not help either. And when I click the install button, nothing happens. :(

I have included my Piriform Speccy results below:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vwACS3nyTpZu6Uus4pu7Me5

Please suggest something that I can do in order to solve this problem; any suggestions are appreciated! :busy:

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

I had the same issue, took me a fresh install to solve it  :killcomp:

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:54 AM

Hi:

You can use the Media Creation Tool from MS to download the ISO, and then do a upgrade installation to 10586. After that use Windows Update to update to 10586.29.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 731 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hi, MadmanRB & batman1234!

Thank you both for the prompt and suggestive replies! :)

@batman1234: Thanks for the tip about MCT; :wink: I will consider doing just that. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

Files installed by BUFFALO TurboCopy Program executable: un091114.exe Path: C:\windows\un091114.exe and MD5: b2637558bb9484f15193a4708f250c4f

The Win 10 ISO is already 10586. Your missing files require a reinstall.

You have way too much security on your system, could be / is probably causing some of the problems.

You only need a good AV and Windows Firewall.

Bill

Edited by wfallon, 19 December 2015 - 10:01 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

"...It is not malware related either, as I have EAM Pro, WinPatrol PLUS and HMP.A with CryptoGuard as my security setup, and my browser is Mozilla Firefox 32-bit with the add-ons Web Of Trust, Adblock Plus and Ghostery for additional security. :thumbup2:  ..."

Some of these security programs might be a little too assertively set!  Opinion: I set my HitmanPro to default Ignore, never default Delete [HMP generates too many false alarms!].  WinPatrol Plus can only be a problem if you do not Accept what is acceptable in time, especially doing long-winded install programs; opinion: I exit WinPatrol Plus during any installs that last longer than 1 minute [my best guess is usually correct].  Concerning FF, opinion:  I stopped using Ghostery because it constantly ran ribbons of "look what I did for you!."  There is supposed to be something better than Adblock Plus, I forgot the name of it.  WOT -- haven't used for awhile; guess 'cause I'm visiting 99% of the time the same web sites over and over.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 December 2015 - 11:29 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 731 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hi, MadmanRB, batman1234, wfallon & RolandJS!

Thank you all for the insightful replies! :)

I have now used the MCT to perform a fresh (thanks to MadmanRB for the tip :wink:) install of Windows version 1511, build 10.0.10586.36, which actually resolved the App issue once and for all :smash:; it turns out that all the BUFFALO tools are incompatible with Win 10, as it says in the user manual; "Other versions of Windows [like 10] are not supported."

I used my external HDD (with only generic Windows drivers :whistle:) for backup; also I find USB Flash Drives to be a durable backup solution across multiple OS-transitions... :thumbsup:

Funniest thing is that even though I have reinstalled my OS, both the missing system files are still missing; which is probably insignificant as my dad does not have these files either, and they do not cause him any hassle..., so FRST likely reports these as missing for whatever reason. :lol:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 21 December 2015 - 09:42 AM.

#8 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:35 AM

:thumbup2:

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users