Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 8.1 x64 startup problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 creborn

creborn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:50 AM

OK. first of all, hello to everybody

What is the problem. I recently (about 2 weeks ago) cleaned my PC from dust, and after that it worked for a few hours like it supposed to, but then started to lag. (win 10). It lagged so bad, that it took a few mins just to open the right click menu. I've googled for the problem, and seen I wasn't the only one, so i downgraded back to win 8.1 x64. It was working fine until 2 days ago. First of all it srated giving me some DX errors which I believe I resolved, but before that, the PC just froze mid work. Be it in a game, surfing the web, or just beeing in idle stanby. I had to restart it, and all was well after that.. until it hung again, but now the restart didn't work. My kid was trying to watch a cartoon on a DVD, and the PC couldn't start when the DVD was in the drive. I unpluged the DVD drive, and got it to start, but later, the problems persisted,, hangs-restarts-hangs, and after a few restarts, the computer didn't want to start up again. I got to the blu window logo, and rotating dots, then it said it was updtaing, and froze at 16%, I restarted it, and nothing. Tried to boot it from a DVD..nothing, booting from a bootable USB - nothing. Finally I managed to open the recovery screen from my DVD, and tried the "refresh" option. It froze az 7%, and asked for a restart. It restarted, and worked OK for a day. Today, it won't start at all. just the blue window logo.. rotating dots, and then black screen. I'm inclined to believe that the MB is bad, because it doesn't boot  from either the DVD or USB, but the startup logo, and bios works fine. A friend suggested, that the HDD might be a culprit, since it often  "clicks" rather loud during work, and few seconds after that noise ( sounds like a pen hitting a table) the PC freezes for a 30 second period, and continues to work after that,. I ordered another HDD to use as main or backup if he's not the problem, but I don't know what else to try. Should I try to  boot from win 7 disc?

I got most of my files to OneDrive, but not all, and I would like to save them if possible, but If I have to format the drive.. screw them....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 creborn

creborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

Short update

I plugged a new HDD, and unplugged the old one. The fans start to spinn, I don't get the MB logo screen, and it just shuts off. Tried without 2 sets of RAM memory, and without DVD rom, just the new hard, and it started. Then replugged the RAM, and DVD rom, and started again. So now I'm installing win OS on the new hdd. It goes slow as hell. Much, much slower than usual. Could the power source be the problem? Or is it the MB

#3 creborn

creborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

We are standing at 1% of getting files ready for installation. DVD led is blinking, HDD led is blinking, so I believe I'm good for now. Since it's working, what are the chances for the MB or power be the problem? Usually it won't start at all, and when it starts..it works...I was thinking of borrowing a friends PC, and exchange piece by piece..untill I find the problem

Edit:

16:44, still at 1%. I think I'll try win 7

17:00, called the time of death. Starting win 7 installation

Edited by creborn, 11 December 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#4 creborn

creborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hopefully found the problem, one MB capacitor is bloated...that should screw the voltage...

#5 creborn

creborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

Fixed, no thanx to U. One capacitor fixed the power issues, and one faulty ram module fixed the bsod

#6 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:30 AM

Thanks creborn for letting us know what fixed the problem :)

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users