Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Neptune on modern hardware

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:49 AM

No Windows 2000 forums, so this was the closest...

So I'm bored and have a laptop and a Microsoft Neptune ISO. I basically want to know what damage could be done if something goes wrong. It's a 2010 Dell XPS with Windows 7 Professional. I don't care about any damage to Windows 7. It's got next to nothing on it so I could easily reinstall Windows if worst came to worst. (Otherwise there's GAG and Hiren's)

I just want to know if any physical damage could be done. I don't know if something like Neptune could neglect in any duties to protect your hardware, the only thing I could think of was it not throttling the CPU if temps get too high. (But I can monitor that myself)

Neptune is NT 5.00.5111

Why? I like Neptune, it's really cool, (tried it in VMs) I have little to do, and wanted to see if I could get drivers working for it. There appear to be Nvidia drivers for Win2k that should work. The only issue may be installing the Intel HD Graphics ones first that Nvidia usually requires. There are plenty of XP drivers too for both, and actually the correct ones, not vaguely similar predecessors. Maybe they'll work (NT 5.0 ≈ 5.1?)

I know this is silly.

I'll probably be getting a few of those.

^

|_______

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2015 - 12:07 PM.
Moved from XP to Windows Server - Hamluis.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users