Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows says genuine on one machine but not another same HD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 marlow77

marlow77

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:58 AM

Why is it when I put my HD in another machine it says the windows isn't genuine when it's fine in the first machine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:01 AM

You cannot move a Windows installation to a different computer. Windows is keyed to the machine it is installed on.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:18 AM

But I've done that plenty of times in the past no problem at all switching the HD from desktop to laptops and such. What part of the machine does it get "keyed" to then if not the HD? ie I only recently discovered IP addresses come from the network cards not HD's themselves.

Edited by marlow77, 11 December 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:15 AM

The operating system has identifiers which are found in the chipset of the motherboard.  When Windows is started the first time it recognizes these identifiers.  Unless you generalize the drive by using the sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown command in the Command Prompt you should not install the drive in another computer as it will see the new identifiers and usually will fail to boot and may require a new installation of the operating system to resolve this.

Here are instructions for doing this in Windows 7.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 7 or 8.1 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

If you are not booting from the operating system when you move the drive to another computer this does not happen.  So I'm guessing that is what you have been doing since you have done this "plenty of times".

Edited by dc3, 11 December 2015 - 08:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for that.

Well had no problems on the swapping HD's around before only today I have :(

One of them won't boot and am getting this message

https://i.gyazo.com/1461907793bf1204dbf69f7119bc9e2e.png

Google says need to recover, does this mean everything on this drive is buggered? Not sure why that would happen...

hmm tried to put a repair image on flash drive it said not NTFS. converted it to NTFS no problem now it just says drive isn't suitable for no apparent reason.

Edited by marlow77, 15 December 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

You will need the Windows 7 installation disc for the version you have installed to make a repair installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

thanks, Will that wipe everything on that drive?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

No.  Using the installation disc will allow you to access the System Recovery Options, one of which is the Startup Repair.

#9 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

Ok so I ordered a recovery disc and what came was a hirens thing. When I try to access my drive through the hirens mini xp it says access denied. I've so far ran disk check on it but it's gotten to phase 2 and nothing has happened for ages...

#10 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:04 AM

Oh now I can access it but no most folders how do I run the basic repair using this plz?

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

From an elevated command prompt you can run  SFC /scannow this will look for problems with the file system, it will attempt repairs and give you a report.  Many but not all problems can be fixed and or identified, make note of files that cannot be repaired this may be of help to dc3.

Phil

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

Edited by OldPhil, 24 December 2015 - 04:45 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for that.

Well had no problems on the swapping HD's around before only today I have :(

One of them won't boot and am getting this message

https://i.gyazo.com/1461907793bf1204dbf69f7119bc9e2e.png

Google says need to recover, does this mean everything on this drive is buggered? Not sure why that would happen...

hmm tried to put a repair image on flash drive it said not NTFS. converted it to NTFS no problem now it just says drive isn't suitable for no apparent reason.

You formatted the drive, this would have removed all of the data on the drive, including your Windows 7 operating system.

What is the make and model of this computer?

#13 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

I am switching two corsair SSD's over on one machine which is a samsung R730, about 6yrs old or so. One SSD is 120gb the newer one 240. The newer one is still working fine. I was wondering if perhaps that weird short circuiting thing had occured that can maybe happen when u touch the drive taking it out.

Anyways I received a proper repair disc this time and it cannot repair it. These are the messages I'm getting;

https://i.gyazo.com/6e95fda49dae87fc39a665841f148cc7.png

https://i.gyazo.com/325cec845f03c1570ef92c3215e6201b.png

#14 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

Ok I have now run bootrec.exe and did /scanOs and it says number of windows installations 0 but when I looked on the hirens set up it said the drive was as full as the amount I remember it being, surely if there was no OS it would say 112gb free or whatever ? 😕

#15 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

I've since used malyware bytes via hirens to check the SSD and it came up with 5 or 6 dodgy looking trojans and what not so thought this could be it.

Alas same error turning up still won't boot. Anything else I can do? It must be fixable...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users