Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my hard drive less then what it should be.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:09 AM

So I bought a 3 TB hard drive but it only has 1.99 GB.  Where is the other 1 TB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:12 AM

What format is it?

Edit: It needs to be formatted as GPT and not MBR. The old Master Boot Record only suppoorts 2T.

Edited by technonymous, 11 December 2015 - 03:17 AM.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

For a 3tb or larger, you need to install 64bit windows in uefi mode.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

I do have 64 bit but. . .whats uefi mode?  I installed it by booting into windows but cd and installing it form there.

The format is NTFS I think.

I've been looking into these modes and found that NTFS is best for performance if I'm not mistaken.  So that would mean its good for gaming I guess.  If that's the case I think its better if I stay in this mode.  Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Edited by CalusBlade, 11 December 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

Is this an external drive? 

#6 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

Not an external

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

Did you install an OS on this drive or is it simply for Data?

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 December 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:50 AM

NTFS supports both GPT and MBR. However the MBR boot record tables doesn't support drives over 2T. So in otherwords you need to convert the drive to GPT. To do that you want to first pull any data you want to keep off the drive and store it elswhere. Then go to start or search and run diskmgmt. Be careful here as disk0 is the C drive. Select the proper drive disk0©, disk1(D), disk2(E) etc and right-click. If it is all formated as one volume and no parittions then you simply delete volume. Next, you want to right-click again and convert to GPT. Once it's done converting, you then right-click and choose format.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

What O/S is installed?  If...you are trying to install Windows on this drive, the procedures/options are a tad different from if you just want to use the partitions for data storage.

I have a 3TB drive on this system...the issue you descr8ie (only 2TB recognized of a 3TB drive) is one I encountered also.  But I did not/do not have Windows installed on my 3TB drive.

There are several approaches that one can take to utilize the full capacity of the drive for data storage.  I chose to create a partition that was almost 2TB...then created a smaller partition, using the Seagate Disc Wizard tool (because mine is a Seagate hard drive).

Everything You Need to Know About 3TB Hard Drives PCWorld - http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_need_ to_know_about_3tb_hard_drives.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#10 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

What O/S is installed?  If...you are trying to install Windows on this drive, the procedures/options are a tad different from if you just want to use the partitions for data storage.

I have a 3TB drive on this system...the issue you descr8ie (only 2TB recognized of a 3TB drive) is one I encountered also.  But I did not/do not have Windows installed on my 3TB drive.

There are several approaches that one can take to utilize the full capacity of the drive for data storage.  I chose to create a partition that was almost 2TB...then created a smaller partition, using the Seagate Disc Wizard tool (because mine is a Seagate hard drive).

Everything You Need to Know About 3TB Hard Drives PCWorld - http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_need_ to_know_about_3tb_hard_drives.html

Louis

I use windows 7 home 64 bit

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

OK...did you read the link I posted?

Did you install Windows on the 3TB drive...or is it simply a data storage drive consisting of either a single or multiple partitions?

Drive manufacturer and model?

Louis

#12 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

I second the partition option, create two partitions less than 2TB and you will then be able to use all the available space.  It also organizes the drive better, you can use on partition for movies, one for music etc.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:46 AM

Yeah, I agree with GameGuru. For legacy bios you have to split it.. Actually that's a good thing. It opens the doors to do more things with those partitions. LIke having mutliboot, backups on one partition keeping them encrypted and safe, mess with different formats and cluster sizes. It's better than just shoving enverything into one big drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users