Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

in cross road...what to do? buy Windows 10 or not?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

Experts/ Gentlemen/Ladies, 

As the topic states,...what to do? Genuinely seeking for advice here. 

Background info/ Here is the spec of my laptop: 

Sony VAIO vgn-ar770U ( some considered a old model but it's a custom order piece ( I paid US$3800 for it) with hardware still kicking well comparing with so called new trend stuff)

32-bit/ OS: Vista Ultimate SP2

intel 2.6 Ghz

Solid State Drive: 400 GB

Nvidia video card

Blu Ray Read+Write disc drive

Resolution: 1900x 1200 (not 1080)

I have been thinking about switching the OS to Windows 10, and I have no problem with paying for it IF windows10 is truly as good as many people said. But as I read on this forum, some express concern(s) and problem(s)

MY Problem(s):

1. VAIO is no longer part of Sony. VAIO does not support any older models. Sony said while they support older models but actually only for last 2-3 years products. My laptop does not qualified on their list, ie, no driver update(s) will come from Sony nor VAIO for Windows 10 switch......seems it is truly a technical problem I will have...

2. I don't want to waste this laptop, as personally I still think it is functioning better than those i-"stuffs", and others run on android OS. I believe being a true computer, has certain capacity, + I truly enjoy the blu ray experience.  

3. Sometime ago, I faced the blue screen of dealth, Windows restore and Windows repairs both suggested that some Window's components are broken and can not be repaired on its own, although still running, but a proper way, the only way to fix, will be a clean re-installation of OS, & then all update(s) from microsoft, which will takes days...if not forever, then + reinstallation of all softwares....--while this part is unavoidable, but the OS part can be, if I choose to buy Windows 10, then it will only takes perhaps half an hour and be done with OS fix...and more importantly, an new OS upgrade, which can be last for a few more years. 

4. Flip side: it's 32-bit. Some suggest: if paying for Windows10 while most people are getting free ( those who had 7 & 8), it will be stupid for me, ...then why not buying a 64 bits computer with Windows10 ? Or perhaps buying a desktop with monitor and other device detached in case one device broken, it is cheaper to replace, plus, desktop always offer stronger hardware for the same $,  comparing with portable devices like laptops, i-stuffs and mobile phones.  Yet, my sony laptop, has been my "desk-top substitute"....i also use mobile phone more than just talking. I guess, what I am saying is, if buying, it will, decentralize my life, not be laptop, istuffs or mobile phones, but rather a desktop. 

But, before spending $$ and wasting my laptop, which I am actually trying to avoid,....

Is Windows10 on my sony, workable given no drivers update from sony not vaio??....Don't worry about askng Sony forums / support .....they don't care,...i think Sony will fold, just a matter of time, .....

What to do

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

No, no, a thousand times, NO!!

And this is not coming from someone who dislikes or disparages Windows 10.

Just the fact that you're dealing with an old Vaio, which has virtually no support, let alone driver updates and is running WinVista is enough for me to say no.

You would be far better off to spend your money on a lower end laptop preloaded with Windows 10.  (And I'm also not one who randomly tosses older hardware, either, but my experience with a Dell Inspiron 1720, which had been running WinVista, as part of the Insider Preview of Windows 10 and subsequent install of Windows 10 Pro 32-bit also tell me you probably shouldn't do it.).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

As britechguy suggested, purchase a new computer if you want Windows 10 or install a linux distro on the Sony. You can boot a live linux DVD or USB flash drive and see if your hardware is supported. Nothing will be installed to disk. It will run in RAM and off the DVD or USB flash drive.

Your computer would run both Mint or Ubuntu very well, most likely better than Windows 10 would.

Mint

Ubuntu

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 December 2015 - 10:03 PM.

#4 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

BTW, I guess ....I forgot to mention....RAM is 4GB.....my bad...Sorry! 

I heard about Linux, an open source OS, but not really know about Mint & Ubuntu....let me take a look all 3...

Britechguy & JohnC_21.....thank you. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:32 PM

Most Windows programs have a linux equivalent but if have a Windows program that you absolutely need to run then you would need to run it in a Virtual Machine on linux or dual boot the computer with linux and Vista. If you have any questions regarding linux there is a separate linux forum at BC with knowledgeable people that can answer your questions. I personally have a XP computer that dual boots with Ubuntu.

#6 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:58 AM

@JohnC_21: 

Personally, I loved Windows2000 Professional edition and XP. You just recall some of good memory, haha....

2000 gave me wide choices of setting; XP was simple, just plug n play. Don't know why, but seems microsoft has a habit of making 1 OS good, then next one bad, then good again, bad again....

Thank you !

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

@JohnC_21: 

Personally, I loved Windows2000 Professional edition and XP. You just recall some of good memory, haha....

2000 gave me wide choices of setting; XP was simple, just plug n play. Don't know why, but seems microsoft has a habit of making 1 OS good, then next one bad, then good again, bad again....

Thank you !

If you use theory (which I don't) then Windows 7 was good, Windows 8 bad and Windows 10 good. I love Windows 10 but I do not think that it is right in your situation. If that was my computer I would definitely look at Linux Mint.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

@JohnC_21: 

Thank you !

If you use theory (which I don't) then Windows 7 was good, Windows 8 bad and Windows 10 good. I love Windows 10 but I do not think that it is right in your situation. If that was my computer I would definitely look at Linux Mint.

@Rocky Bennett:

I did'nt mean to use that theory as foundation for choosing OS, I apologize if I counfused you...., just when JohnC_21 recalled my memory, as funny as it sounds, in a way, it was somehow....going back just a little further,...Vista was bad, XP was good, Millenium edition was bad, 2000Professional was good....& 97, 95, 93....haha....

Thanks for yr input

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:55 PM

I don't really call it an OS but remember BOB?

bobhome1p.png

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

John_C21,

No one remembers BOB, and for very good reason.  The first time I saw reference to it was on a forum such as this one.  

I graduated with a BSCS in 1984, and still had never had even a single occasion to see it.  This monstrosity got buried incredibly quickly.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

Yeah Linux is probably the best option for your laptop as far as I can see it, give us your specs and lets see if we can get things rolling.

Now the thing is that windows 10 may indeed still be possible on this machine but without knowledge of things like specs then I say Linux

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#12 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:40 PM

I remember....Lotus 1-2-3, for accounting and spreadsheet, I think IBM owned lotus back then...I could be wrong,...

And, a bigger hand-held device called prodigy ( come to think of it,...so ahead in its time!), and I still keep the i-omega drive in box, collecting dust.

And, computer was in DOS, ...C:, ....for C drive; A: ,....for A drive, floppy disk 5" (was they 1/4 or 1/2 I forgot) ....

Then,....Sony, NEC & Toshiba 's laptop were so expensive,....Motorola cell phone big like size of a brick,...so much memory....

I bet, you Gentlemen, know them all,.....

#13 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

Yeah Linux is probably the best option for your laptop as far as I can see it, give us your specs and lets see if we can get things rolling.

Now the thing is that windows 10 may indeed still be possible on this machine but without knowledge of things like specs then I say Linux

32-bit/ OS: Vista Ultimate SP2

intel 2.6 Ghz

Solid State Drive: 400 GB

Nvidia video card

Blu Ray Read+Write disc drive

Resolution: 1900x 1200 (not 1080)

RAM: 4GB , 2 slots 2x2

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

Hrm, I went online to get more info and maybe you wont need sony for your drivers if you went windows 10.

The only trouble spot I see is graphics card and that can pertain to linux, if this was a gaming rig expect a letdown in that department (but the GPU can be problematic inWindows as well).

But you know what?

Maybe windows 10 could run on there, you could try to get the windows 8 drivers for it and it could work.

Really its up to you as both linux and windows 10 can give you issues, Linux may be the better choice however.

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 December 2015 - 07:52 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#15 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

At least, with a Linux live DVD, you can check the hardware compatibility without spending any money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users