Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adblock Plus for W7 ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

I use Adblock Plus on my Linux machine, and find it works brilliantly, and am very happy with it. Actually, I don't mind some advertissng - I'm a capitalist, after al. So I have it set to allow some advertising (can't recall how I did it) and I actually like that advertising, and click on it occassionally. All is beautiful in the world of Linux !!!

Yesterday, away from my Linux machine, I had to use my W7 lappie to do some searching - mainly health web sites, naturalistic remedies, etc, for a condition of severe eczema someone is suffering.

Thing is, even with block pop ups, medium / high security, etc, I was appalled at the level of grossly intrusive advertising that just kept coming. Every web page - a screen over the screen being read, nagging me incessently to join this .. that .. and difficult to get out of .. ahh, there's the tiny little cross on the bottom left had corner .. or in many cases, NO such cross, and I found I had to hit the escape key, which worked sometimes .. other times it didn't and I just shut down the whole page.

And what's that twitter / facebook / and other .. vertical thing on the left hand side of the screen ?

How so I get rid of that ? No cross off, no escape .. and it covered the text I was reading so I had to guess the words .. and there's all these videos running in the background .. and the machine is sluggish ..

GOOD GRIEF !!!

Admittedly, I've been in Nirvana these last few months, surfing with my LINUX MINT 17.2 machine .. but is this what it's come to with Windows ?

GOOD GRIEF !!!

In the end, I gave up, waited till I got home and got the job done in short order on my Linux :-)))))

I can imagine if THAT's the normality that I now have to contend with on my W7 machine, what the hell the poor W10 sheeple will have to put up with, in THAT cheap circus ???

OK, now that I've vented, my question.

Yes, I checked Adblock Plus can be downloaded for Windows.

- Is it recommended by folk here ? Or are there better alternatives ?

- If OK, what is the best site to dowload it from ? I checked, and got 'cnet' and 'softronic' or something, but I recall bad experiences with those in the past.

Oh, and BTW, is there a good adblocker for W10 ? My suffering W10 daughter would be very please to know of one (or should I ask this in the W10 page ?)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2015 - 12:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

Adblock Plus is an excellent add-on.   I'm not sure what you mean "for W7" as Adblock Plus is attached to browser(s), not OSes.

I have it installed on Firefox, Chrome, and IE (the last of which I virtually never use).  This is on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

One simply installs it via the add-ons/extensions manager for the browser in question.  If you want to be absolutely sure you're getting "the original" just go to the Adblock Plus website in the browser where you want it installed and a button saying "Install for {current browser}" should be presented on the website's main screen.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

Ah, Adblock Plus web site. Got it. Thanks.

#4 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

Checked it out. Now downloading it.

PS, now understand what you mean by 'attached to browsers not OS's'.

Thanks.,

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

You block the ads that Adblock Plus allows by clicking on its icon and choosing Filter Preferences. Then uncheck allow some non-iintrusive advertising.

If you want to see the tons of ads that are allowed...click on https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/exceptionrules.txt

Those ads are allowed by default. Adblock Plus is also customizable....meaning you can block ads that are not automatically blocked.

It really sounds like you have some adware you need to get rid of in Windows 7. Suggest you start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? Forum.

The kind of websites you were visiting likely contain a lot of ads and allow a lot of pop up ads. Those sites are well known to be selling

snake oil and wouldn't hesitate to allow ads if clicked on can cause problems...such as infecting you with malware and adware.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:34 AM

Also give uBlock (Origin) a try, it works the same way as Adblock (Plus) does but I find it's lighter on resources and highly configurable. You can install it in the browser as an add-on/extension in Chrome, Chromium, Firefox...

Greets!

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

And what's that twitter / facebook / and other .. vertical thing on the left hand side of the screen ?

How so I get rid of that ? No cross off, no escape .. and it covered the text I was reading so I had to guess the words .. and there's all these videos running in the background .. and the machine is sluggish ..

You can Disable that side bar.

Disabling Sidebar/Desktop Gadgets in Windows 7

To disable them, simply open up Control Panel and type “features” into the search box. Find the link for “Turn Windows features on or off” and open it.

Remove the checkbox from Windows Gadget Platform, click the OK button and restart your computer.

If it is some other Side Bar in a Browser....then tell us which browser(s) you want to Disable the Sidebar(s) in.

Videos running in the background??? you really need to start a new topic in Am I infected? What do I do? Forum.

Edited by buddy215, 11 December 2015 - 10:33 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hi buddy 215

You block the ads that Adblock Plus allows by clicking on its icon and choosing Filter Preferences. Then uncheck allow some non-iintrusive advertising.

If you want to see the tons of ads that are allowed...click on https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/exceptionrules.txt

Those ads are allowed by default. Adblock Plus is also customizable....meaning you can block ads that are not automatically blocked.

Yes, thanks. I found out about Adblock Plus during my Linux experience and have it installed on my Linux machine. Works great.

Yes, I've checked the ads allowed / blocked.  Personally, I do not at all mind a reasonable amount of ads. Something along the lines of the default 'allow some non intrusive advertising' seems very reasonable to me.

It really sounds like you have some adware you need to get rid of in Windows 7. Suggest you start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? Forum.

The kind of websites you were visiting likely contain a lot of ads and allow a lot of pop up ads. Those sites are well known to be selling

snake oil and wouldn't hesitate to allow ads if clicked on can cause problems...such as infecting you with malware and adware.

Thanks. Just done an Adwarecleaner scan. Found 2 PUP's merely as a result of that few hours of surfing. Wow !

I got to say, Adwarecleaner is just one of the best little tools I've ever seen.

Cheers!

#9 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:47 PM

You can Disable that side bar.

Disabling Sidebar/Desktop Gadgets in Windows 7

To disable them, simply open up Control Panel and type “features” into the search box. Find the link for “Turn Windows features on or off” and open it.

Remove the checkbox from Windows Gadget Platform, click the OK button and restart your computer.

If it is some other Side Bar in a Browser....then tell us which browser(s) you want to Disable the Sidebar(s) in.

Videos running in the background??? you really need to start a new topic in Am I infected? What do I do? Forum.

My terminology isn't the best with these things.

No, it isn't the Windows sidebar - I know about that, and never use it. It is a narrow verical bar, not full length of screen, that comes up on some web sites only, and has social media icons on it, such as twitter and facebook, and prompts you to 'like' or something ..

Thing is, there's no apparent way to get rid of it, it stays on screen when scrolling through text, and partially covers the text.

Videos .. no, I meant videos running in the current web page as advertisements.  Got Adblock Plus running, now though. It's working great - got the advertising just about where I want it.

Cheers

#10 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

Also give uBlock (Origin) a try, it works the same way as Adblock (Plus) does but I find it's lighter on resources and highly configurable. You can install it in the browser as an add-on/extension in Chrome, Chromium, Firefox...

Greets!

Thanks. Just loaded Adblock Plus and really happy with it. Will keep your suggestion on file though, in case.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:38 AM

Right click on the frame containing the icons for the social media and see if Adblock Plus is among the choices and block the frame if you want it to.

Next time you are in Windows run scans using MBAM and Junkware Removal Tool, too.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop. Best to turn off any active security program before running JRT.

#12 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:59 AM

Right click on the frame containing the icons for the social media and see if Adblock Plus is among the choices and block the frame if you want it to.

OK - will remember to try that next time I'm surfing on my W7 lappie - which may not be for a while, as it all happens so great on my Linux machine.

Next time you are in Windows run scans using MBAM and Junkware Removal Tool, too.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop. Best to turn off any active security program before running JRT.

Great ideas. Thanks. Didn't know about JRT. Have saved info to do it next time on W7.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

Sounds like a plan....you're welcome

#14 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:31 PM

Sounds like a plan....you're welcome

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users