Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell N5010 CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jbob0124

jbob0124

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:15 PM

I'm in the process of upgrading my CPU for my Dell N5010.  It has (or had) and i3-370m and I'm replacing it with an i5-540m.  For some reason I can't get it to start anymore.  It ran fine prior to the change, but now is acting as if there's no power.  I've taken it apart and checked everything probably 10 times now.  I've even tried putting in the original CPU and nothing.  Not sure if I'm missing something or somehow managed to fry something.

I did notice that the piece shown in the picture I attached is getting awfully hot when plugged in, but again won't power up.  Im not so sure that is a good thing, but at least I know the board is getting power.

Any ideas?

Attached Files

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 December 2015 - 07:15 PM.
Moved from Internal H/ware to 'Upgrading'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

Did you apply fresh thermal compound when you installed the CPU?

You link does not work.  Use the instructions below to post the picture in your topic.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jbob0124

jbob0124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

I did not replace the thermal paste as your supposed to, but that's not going to stop the computer from starting.

On the picture, it was working correctly yesterday, I imagine after this thread was moved from Hardware to System Building, the link somehow broke.

dmpjdh.jpg

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

Without the thermal compound the CPU can overheat in the time it takes to boot.  If it does it can shutdown the computer.  I would suggest applying the thermal compound and then see what happens.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

FWIW:  Manual

Louis

#6 jbob0124

jbob0124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

Thanks to both of you.

I will have to order the paste as my closest shop is an hour or so away and I don't think I will be able to swing a trip out that way until next weekend.

Anyone know if there contact points within the board that will prevent it from starting?  (I.E. the pc won't start without the cover secured)

#7 jbob0124

jbob0124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

Well, I broke out my other n5010 and tried replacing that CPU with the one I was originally trying to use and it worked, so I know the CPU is good, I also pulled the RAM from that system to this one and its using it just fine, so that one is taken out of the equation.  So now I have to assume its either the Motherboard or the Power Jack board.  Any tips on how to test whether these boards are bad?

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:01 AM

Got a muli-meter laying around?

#9 jbob0124

jbob0124
  • Topic Starter

• Members