Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My friend's computer is infected with some unknown malicious program(s).

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sahqon

Sahqon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

She's using 8.1  She tells me she found something indicating "remote monitoring software" and it's capable of disabling and even remaining undetected by some antiviruses. It disabled her Kapersky and window's defender.

I believe she spread it to her computer using compromised usb (She is a beginner when it comes to computer and has ruined many computers before realizing that she's used an infected USB that spreads to uninfected computers .

She's went to malwaretips.com to treat her computer, but she was unable to come to a resolution.  She ruined one of her computers by calling geeksquad and doing some unknown thing (to me) over the phone (which was like pouring oil on a forest fire). She's scared that she may ruin her roommates computer as well and thusly I am here trying to find a resolution to her problem.

She has scanned with FRST and Zoek. I've the files that she uploaded if needed. There is also some chinese/ eastern font 

http://imgur.com/4SHlHUo

This is the file she showed me and she has another in her history. The people in malwaretips says her computer isn't infected, but there is some thing that is going on. Her old computer was a breeding ground for viruses and I highly doubt she would not accidentally spread it to her roommate's computer by sharing usb. Her room mate's computer was brand new and it suddenly began behaving strangely... there must be some way to find out what's wrong with it.

Edit: She showed me this screenshot at a time when I had been too exhausted to pay attention to it. Now that I'm awake I noticed she has teamviewer on her pc. She's -really- naive... I dont know what she could have done, but I am sure she must've given someone access to her pc to try to fix it. This entire thing is frustrating me. I dont know what this girl has done...  it's so many variables here that it's hard for me to isolate what has happened especially with nothing being picked up by her antivirus program.

Edited by Sahqon, 10 December 2015 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Hello ..

If you need more assistance with any malware infection, other advanced tools are available but they cannot be used in this forum. Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team only.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own.
If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them then describe your problem. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one, so any unwanted advice will not be posted.

Thank You

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

...She has scanned with FRST and Zoek. I've the files that she uploaded if needed.

Since she already ran FRST it's log should be reviewed, however they are not permitted in this forum.

Please start a new topic and post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

After doing that, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Sahqon

Sahqon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

She's now without a computer. She sent it in after she couldn't deal with the problems anymore. I'll direct her to the forums noted in the posts above when she gets access to the internet again.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

AVG PC TuneUp is a program by the makers of AVG Antivirus which claims to be an optimizing tool with registry cleaning capability that purports to improve performance, make repairs and enhance the speed of a computer in addition to a number of other Boost your PCs speed features.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. Some of these programs can be difficult to remove but they are not malware.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

#6 Sahqon

Sahqon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

You linked a file that you've stated did not work? 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

AVG PC TuneUp is a legitimate program used by many. However, IMO these types of programs do not live up to their claims and most of them made by other software vendors are junkware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users