Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel S3420GPRX RAM issues - system not booting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 james73

james73

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

Hi all.

I'm trying to set up a Server system for a local charity. We recently bought an Intel SR1695GPRX2ACNA Barebone
System, which includes an Intel Server Board S3420GPRX motherboard.

To go with it, we bought an Intel Xeon X3470 SLBJH - 2.93ghz 8M Cache CPU.

We then bought the following RAM: 4 X Samsung M393B5170DZ1-CF8 4Gb RDIMM PC3-8500

(This RAM is listed as compatible with the motherboard according to an online PDF document I found.)

The system will not boot-up with this RAM in place. I get the 3 beeps errors, which according to the manual is a
RAM issue. The seller of the RAM sent us a different model of RAM (again, Samsung but a different model number,
I never noted which) but the outcome was exactly the same. 3 beeps per RAM module, regardless of which slot
the RAM is placed in.

The seller of the motherboard has just issued a replacement but guess what? The same issue again - 3 beeps on
booting the system and it doesn't go any further. I'm thinking now of maybe trying UDIMM RAM but I'm struggling
with this one.

Any help or advice on this greatly appreciated. :)

James H

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

Welcome To BC!  :welcome:

Try blowing out those ram slots with dust and see if that helps.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 james73

james73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

I did. It didn't help.

James H

#4 james73

james73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

For anyone interested...

Managed to get the system to boot using a Crucial 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1066 ECC UDIMM (CT1777425)
kit. Half as much RAM for almost double the price...

I'll give the Samsung M393B5170DZ1-CF8 4Gb RDIMM PC3-8500 RAM one final try before it goes back
to the seller, but we'll be needing 16Gb for the Server, one way or another.

Now, anyone any recommendations for a quiet 1U PSU?? This thing sounds like a damn hair dryer 3 inches
from my ear.

mad.gif

James H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users