Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is a intel stock cooler good enough for gaming?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:00 PM

I have a intel 4790k Haswell.  It's a newly built computer and usually idles around 30-35 (base on core temp and speccy..  However when I have the program zonealarm and go into a reading manga site, It can spike to 70 and go back down to 40-55.  I made sure the thermal paste was put on correctly (used a metrocard and spread about a half a dime thin layer) and the stock fan, I hear the click and then turn the knobs to lock it in place.  Because of this I didn't start gaming yet,  should I order a better cpu cooler?.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

You could make sure that air flow paths within the unit are clear of obstructions, hampering air flow.  Also isolate the power supply fan by blocking some of the vents between it and the case.

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

So I increased the fans and change my cpu cooler to a cooler master evo 212.  My idel stays around 25-30.  When reading manga online without zone alarm, I hot around 30-35.  With zone alarm I get about 35-42 with some spikes to 50-55 which normally last less then a second.  Instead of a second with the stock cooler.  As for the wires, I need those plastic strap things before I can increase by locking down the wires.

I used prim95 and stress test the cpu for about 5 or so minutes.  some spikes to 62 but normally stays around 55-60.

Edited by CalusBlade, 10 December 2015 - 10:36 PM.

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:25 AM

If you would like to overclock your 4790K to gain more performance, I would recommend you to use liquid cooler. 212 Evo is fine if you are not going to overclock.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:43 PM

You know for me the stock cooler does just fine even when gaming with onboard graphics.

I never top 50 degrees Celsius, or 30 degrees when idle.

But I think its because airflow in my case is very good, I have a Raidmax ViperGX II case and I use two top mounted thermaltake DuraMax 9 fans.

its not a icebox but it does seem like for the temps I am getting I see no need for anything other then my stock cooler.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 December 2015 - 10:45 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users