Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic question about computer speed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 barrette

barrette

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hello,
 I have a desktop, with Windows 10.  Can someone tell me--when I click and that little blue circle spins around and around and seems slow--
is it my computer that is slow, or the site that is slow, or Windows 10 that is slow?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

Your question is too vague to be answered as it could be any one or more factors creating "slow."

What is your hardware?  What program(s) are your trying to start?  Has boot up completed when you're trying to start a program (and that's often still in the works when your desktop first appears)?

There are just too many possible variables.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

Did you upgrade from another OS or is this a new system with Windows 10 pre-installed?

If you upgraded (I am thinking you did since you originally posted in Vista) how was it when you were using the previous OS?

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,813 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

Hello,
 I have a desktop, with Windows 10.  Can someone tell me--when I click and that little blue circle spins around and around and seems slow--
is it my computer that is slow, or the site that is slow, or Windows 10 that is slow?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Are you using a web browser when this happens? Which web browser?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 barrette

barrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:26 AM

I have a new Dell xps 8900-2506 i7 6700 3.4 GHz.  It has just barely anything in it yet, one picture and a few recipes.  I just wonder why I must wait  for all the ads to appear and the page to get all set up  (for instance on the front page of the New York Times) before I can actually read an article.  Is the blue circle waiting for the NY Times or for my computer?  Or for the Microsoft  Edge browser which I use on this computer?

I especially notice having to wait when trying to read articles that go from page to page like "20 things to make your life easier" -- one thing per page.   It takes forever, it seems like you should just jump from page to page as fast as you can click.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,813 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

What speed is your internet connection? Since this is a new computer, have you gone into task manager and disabled the unnecassary start up programs? What kind of crapware came pre-installed? These all effect performance, but this is definately not normal behavior. I live way out in the country and I have super-slow DSL and my page load is instant.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

I beleive it is the web site you are on, I have the same complaint, try going to IRS.GOV and see if it's faster going from place to place. (I use irs for test as it is fast).

works for me! 

Always try the simple things first......

Don't get bogged down in trying completed changes, ya can always try them later.

Edited by mr.meyer, 11 December 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#8 barrette

barrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

I beleive it is the web site you are on, I have the same complaint, try going to IRS.GOV and see if it's faster going from place to place. (I use irs for test as it is fast).

works for me! 

Always try the simple things first......

Don't get bogged down in trying completed changes, ya can always try them later.

I tried the IRS dot site and yes, it's instant change as soon as I click on  any new topic.  Good idea to try that, thanks for your answer. 

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

One thing about Windows 10 is that for various reasons its not that fast internet wise out of the box,i saw many posts on this when i got this system and i have to say compared to my windows 7,with a third of the ram of this systen was not too impressive.

This post shows one reason win 10 is slow on the net  and what you can do about

http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

Edited by Wolverine 7, 11 December 2015 - 12:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users