Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update stuck at Checking for Updates and can't install Updates manually

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

As the title says, I have problems with Windows Update. I tried some fixes like: Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components, Reset_Windows_Update_History, MicrosoftFixit50362 (which is a Microsoft Installer Fixer that couldn't install PowerShell), MicrosoftFixit50202. But what I really need is installing .NET Framework 4. I tried forcing it to install, installing it step by step, but it couldn't go further than .NET Framework 3.5. I need that Framework, the other updates don't really matter. And the interesting thing is that my antivirus doesn't say that Windows is not up-to-date, which is not normal, in ESET Smart Security, if Windows is not up-to-date.

If specs matter:

6 GB RAM

AMD Athlon ll X4 750K

AMD Radeon R7 240 4GB GDDR3

Vista SP2

cbs.txt:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/jsoeje0nxt30g5u/cbs.txt

I don't know how to obtain CheckSUR.log.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hi antoniu200:

Many other Vista users have reported that Windows Update seems to get stuck at "Checking for updates..." for long periods of time, and this problem dates back to the August 2015 Patch Tuesday updates - see my screenshots in ScousaJAY's thread windows update just seems to hang while checking in the VistaForums. This month's December 2015 Patch Tuesday updates required a full hour on my machine before it finished the  "Checking for updates..." phase and finally presented a list of available updates, so you might want to try running a manual Windows Update and leaving your computer alone for an hour or so to see if it eventually runs to completion.

You might also want to read Nikilet's recent thread Updates were not configured correctly in that same forum.  Some Vista users, including myself, received an error message this month stating "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Please do not turn off your computer" when they tried to install the December 2015 Patch Tuesday updates.  Six updates for the Vista OS and one cumulative update for IE9 were marked as "Failed" on my machine after Windows forced an automatic rollback and re-boot of my machine.  I re-ran Windows Update today and all Important updates that failed yesterday eventually installed successfully ("Checking for updates..." still took about one hour and I declined one Recommended update KB3112148 for Vista and one Optional update KB3106614 for Silverlight today) so the secret might be to install updates in smaller batches instead of trying to install all dozen or so available updates in a single update session.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v42.0 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550@1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 10 December 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#3 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

Umm... Yesterday I still had this problem, but now it detected 242 updates... What???? And it took 10 seconds after the startup to find them! Again, what????

Edited by antoniu200, 11 December 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

Umm... Yesterday I still had this problem, but now it detected 242 updates... What???? And it took 10 seconds after the startup to find them! Again, what????

Hi antoniu200:

I've never performed a Windows Update Reset, but I suspect one of the fixes you mentioned in your original post <here> wiped your cached list of past updates installed on your machine, forcing Windows Update to re-build your entire inventory of available updates.

Have you had any success installing the latest .NET Framework v4.x yet?  According to Control Panel | Programs and Features on my 32-bit Vista machine, my .NET Framework v4.5.2 has been updated to v4.5.51209 since the latest December 2015 security patch KB3099869 was installed.

Attached File  MS NET Framework v4 as of 11 Dec 2015.png   62.26KB   1 downloads

-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v42.0 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550@1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 11 December 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#5 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:17 PM

I didn't make any changes today and neither yesterday. Dunno what happend, just suddendly detected 242 updates. The only thinf I did is tried to install Linux Ubuntu over Windows. I booted into Windows and saw a Windows Updare notification. I hovered over it and it said downloading and installing updates 0% and it stayed there at 0%. So, the problem is still not solved.
I didn't try to install the .Net Framework yet.

#6 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

And the reregister windows update gave me error 1060 and 5. And it's not the only fixer that gave me errors.

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

And the reregister windows update gave me error 1060 and 5. And it's not the only fixer that gave me errors.

Hi antoniu200:

Sorry, except for the excessively long "Checking for updates..." phase shown in my screenshot <here>, my experience with the December 2015 Patch Tuesday updates appears to be quite different from yours.  After the download and install phase I was prompted to re-start my machine as usual, but my problems really started during the final configuration stage (Step 3 of 3) when my screen went black for several minutes.  I eventually saw a message stating "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Please do not turn off your computer" and Windows Update attempted a recovery and forced a second re-start.  I had multiple update failures and errors logged in my Event Viewer but I was able to re-run Windows Update the next day without problems (other than the same long "Checking for updates..." phase).

I get an "Access Denied" message when I try to view the cbs.txt file you posted on mediafire, and someone with more technical training than I have would likely be needed to correctly interpret the errors logged in your CBS.log file.  Hopefully someone else will jump into this thread to help you collect diagnostic logs and determine the best way forward.
-------------

Edited by lmacri, 12 December 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#8 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

I would mark the thread solved, but thinking that there is no solution, I won't because there are more people who may be helped by this thread. Everything works now. Windows Update installed .Net Framework 4.5.2 and the other 199 updates.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users