Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 versus 7...AV Choices?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davey crockett

davey crockett

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

Hi folks:

I have a couple of home laptops with windows 7 and have heard disquieting reports that it is going to go the way of xp, and that win 10 is garbage, full of spyware, and that it will auto install. Would anyone have thoughts on this? I am reluctant to pay for a years worth of Kaspersky to have my system get dumped half way through the year. I suspect AVG would be ok, don't imagine it is the end all be all but may be the best route to go. Any info kindly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 10 December 2015 - 03:37 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

All Windows OS versions (including 10) eventually go the way of the dinosaur as do other OSes (Linux in all its distros is under constant development and older versions eventually get dropped from support).  If you want to know the actual dates for the end of mainstream and extended support for the various iterations of Windows since XP see the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet.  Windows 7 regular support has already ceased and extended support will end in 2020.

Windows 10 is not garbage.  As far as I'm concerned it's a vast improvement over Windows 8, and brings back a number of features from Windows 7 and earlier (the biggest one being the Start Menu - though now in tile form) that make it far more comfortable for long-term Windows users to adjust to.  Don't get me wrong, it is an adjustment, but I went straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and feel far more comfortable with it than I do with my partner's Windows 8.1 laptop.

Windows 10 is not "full of spyware" nor does it auto-install (at least not yet - and not ever if you configure your Windows update not to get recommended updates automatically).  At the moment the Get Windows 10 (X) - AKA GWX - nag does install on Windows 7 (and Windows 8) and the files necessary to upgrade to Windows 10 do download, but you must trigger the upgrade process and consent to several different things before Windows 10 will actually install.

Windows 10 does include the Cortana Service, a direct competitor to Apple's Siri, and if you use it then it must have access to things like your contacts, e-mail, and other personal information to do its job.  You do (or did, I never know if something's changed since the last install I've done) get a choice as to whether to activate Cortana or not as part of the upgrade via GWX or, I think, the ISOs you can download from the Media Creation Tool.  You can simply turn the Cortana Service off if you so desire and the "Get To Know Me" setting under Speech, Inking, & Typing settings and then, if you're not using any of the other Microsoft Services covered in the Microsoft Services Agreement, you have pretty much the same situation you had under Windows 7 or Windows 8 as far as system telemetry back to Microsoft about how the OS itself is operating and its interactions with programs and peripherals.

If you elect to create a local account on your Windows 10 machine rather than one associated with an existing (or new, you can create one) Microsoft Account you're really working in an environment pretty much like Win7 or Win8 with regard to everything except system health telemetry.

There are a number of very good free antivirus products for home users.  Take a look at Panda Cloud antivirus and AVG for starters.  Also, Microsoft's own Microsoft Security Essentials (for Win7) or Windows Defender (Windows 8 and 10) work well, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the information. Microsoft has twice attempted to install 10 on my sony. Sony Vaio has messaged saying that they will not supported it, do not install. I have a Samsung and have not encountered these issues.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

...Microsoft has twice attempted to install 10 on my sony...

How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8
GWX Control Panel - GWX user guide

GWX Control Panel (formerly GWX Stopper)...This is a free tool that can remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification area icon on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Newer versions can also disable 'Upgrade to Windows 10' behavior in the Windows Update control panel.

Now for you AV question. I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version...see ad-supported software.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free and Windows 8/10 Defender.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users