Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Card Not Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:28 AM

Hi everyone im not sure if this is the right forum but my problem is with a Linksys WMP54G pci card. It stays connected to the internet, but it will randomly disconnect and I will have to select 'repair' in the wireless networking options to fix it. On my old computer, i had a usb version of the card, and it was doing the same thing. Eventually it got so bad it wouldnt stay connected for more than 10 seconds. Then it died. When I got this new computer, i got the pci version and it worked fine, but now it seems to be disconnecting more and more. Linksys isnt much help, they just run me through the "is it connected properly, try reinstalling, etc" which ive already done. I also have another computer that has the usb version and its never had a problem. Any ideas? btw: the computer is win xp pro, and the old one was xp home.

-Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:48 AM

Does the card feel hot? Is this computer running hot? Have you ever had a computer slow down or shut off?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:20 AM

The card is not hot, the computer hasnt ever slowed down or shut off unexpectedly, and the current temp is 88F motherboard, 86F cpu, and 86F Hdd. The most its ever gotten is 98F for all of them. The case also has 4-5 fans in it.

-Nick

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:35 AM

Look for an updated driver on the Linksys web site. That would be my first advice.

Next, if you are having connectivity problems, and you KNOW you are using the most current drivers, then I have to suspect malicious software installed on your computer, or some sort of conflict between programs (such as having two anti virus programs running), something along those lines.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:29 PM

Im almost sure it has the latest driver, although ill check to be sure later today. I have Spybot S&D, AdAware SE, and SpywareBlaster installed in this computer and was on my old one, they are updated and scan weekly. Also I had trend micro as an anti virus but since i lost the cd i just havent put one on yet.

-Nick

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

I have Spybot S&D, AdAware SE, and SpywareBlaster installed in this computer

Sorry, don't mean squat! Ok, maybe it does means squat. :thumbsup: But it doesn't mean you are not infected. All defenses can be defeated if you invited a bad boy into the computer, either on purpose or by accident.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:53 AM

Well im pretty sure im not infected by anything except for cookies. :thumbsup: Annoying things they are. I guess I forgot to mention that when it does disconnect it shows that there is no wireless network in range, while all the other computers are still connected.

-Nick

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:37 AM

I also have another computer that has the usb version and its never had a problem

Being that you have a known good device try using it on the computer that is dropping the connection. If it works without problems then you know the pci device is bad.

#9 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:18 AM

Its kinda hard to test, because it will go days without doing anything, then disconnect several times in one hour. I know its not a reception problem, im the closest to the router, and it always says 5 bars. I dont think its a compatibility problem either since both the old and new card, the card on the other computer, and the router are Linksys.

Also i noticed it does it only when im actually doing something on the internet, doesnt do it if anything internet related isnt open. The old usb card (remember this one was on my old one before i got this new computer) disconnected even when internet stuff wasnt running. Im thoroughly confused! Could it possibly just be bad service?

-Nick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users