Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer "tune ups"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Delta9TCH

Delta9TCH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

In your guy's opinion, from a business perspective, is it worth the time to try And clean up a computer that's running wonky or do a full os reinstall and then you know everything is good software wise. I'n my experience I'll look at startup processes first for red flags then maybe start running an AV program but as soon as I see a red flag (ie some bleepty malware) I usually just do a backup of important files and reimage or reinstall the os and progs as I've found it usually gets the machine running like new more so than just running an anti virus and hoping that fixes everything...(less chance that the customer comes back soon and says the machine is acting up again) What are your guys opinions on this matter?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:21 AM

Your question...is, at best, vague and covers several different areas.  I'm not sure what your idea of a "computer tuneup" might be...but that seems like a very vague concept with different meanings to members/users.  I'm curious to know...just what steps/procedures are employed by you...when you do a "computer tuneup."

When members talk about "cleaning up" a computer system...most times, they are referring to malware situations.  Is that what you are referring to?

As for opinions regarding what, to you, seems like a simple approach to every instance...I don't believe there is an answer for such.  Before determining what steps should be taken to overcome a problem of any sort...a clear definition of what seems to be the problematical situation should take place.  The premises of what the problem might be...would then determine what steps should/would be taken to either further diagnose or overcome the problems on said system.

Since such analysis and actions taken...will vary from situation to situation...person to person...I see no answer to your question, as I have interpreted it.

In any situation that does not involve a hardware problem...a clean install is the ultimate attempt at resolution.  A clean install will be of no value whatever in any situation where the crux of the problematical situation...revolves around a key hardware component.

In any instance where pat answers are sought to complex or ill-defined situations...there can be no pat answer, IMO.  If there were such available...I believe that the most basic step would be...look at the evidence indicating a problem or the lack thereof...first and foremost.  Then, and only then...devise a "plan" for negating the perceived problem.  A "plan" goes far beyond trying patent procedures that will take care of everything/anything.  A new system...is the only alternative that I can think of...that takes care of everything/anything...but that's a rather expensive "solution" to any hiccup that a user is likely to encounter when using a computer system.

If you provide us more details concerning just what it is that you want opinions about...we can move this topic to the appropriate forum where you might gain the opinions of the BC membership.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 December 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#3 espinozaj140

espinozaj140

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

Hi,

Like they say, if it aint broken, why fix it?

However, its always a good option to clean up junk from the computer on periodic basis.

If things go out of hand, you can always reinstall OS.

Hope this helps.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:04 AM

I fix computers - that's what I do.

So taking the "easy" way out is offensive to me.

I like an elegant fix, one that shows that thought and consideration (along with technical expertise) was able to solve the problem.

BUT....

I know that others don't necessarily share my feelings.

At work the emphasis is on getting things done quickly.

And speed often takes the place of preserving the system state.

So we'll wipe a system in order to get it back to the customer faster.

It seems that the majority of the customer's agree with this philosophy.

Some of the techs that I work with don't use antivirus software.

As such, they have learned to store their data separate from their programs.

And, when disaster hits, they simply reimage the system and go back to the way that things were.

I, on the other hand, refuse to reimage my system (and I only use Windows Defender and the Windows firewall)

I like the way that it's setup and the way that it works.

So I have multiple backups and System Restore points.

But mostly I just fix the problems with my system.

And, because of this, I have learned to stop "tweaking" my system and leave it in as much of the original state as I can.
That makes it easier to fix.

Generally I only format and reinstall when a new OS version comes out.  But with W10, I've been in it since the "beta" days and have updated through 1511 without a clean install.

I'm considering a clean install when I purchase a new laptop (around January) - as I still have video problems with my current system.

But I will retain a full copy of the current installation "just in case" I'll also be swapping hard drives - as I have a 1 tB SSD that's likely better than the HDD's that most systems come with.

So, in short, this is more a matter of personal preference than it is a technical question.

If it works for you (and you don't lose anything that you need) - then that's the way for you.

Edited by usasma, 11 December 2015 - 06:06 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users