Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If I upgrade to Windows 10, will my errors persist?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 awesomearc

awesomearc

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

Yeah, it is, in fact, a really dumb question, but still, I just wanted to make sure.

Now, my Windows 7 PC has a few (if not a lot of...) errors. I have managed to fix some, but some of them just won't go that easily (Like this one: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595226/windows-explorer-has-stopped-working/ ).

What I actually want to ask is, if I upgrade to Windows 10 (from this... completely messed up Windows 7), will my errors persist? I guess not, but again, I just want to make sure.

As this is a general Windows enquiry, I doubt if this is the right forum to post this into. If it isn't, please move it.

Usually, I do not get online before 1:00 PM or after 10:00 PM (my local time).

So, if I do not reply to a thread where I am currently active, make sure you check my local time to see if it's time for me to be online or not. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

The likelihood is, "yes."

If you'd like a fresh start you'd need to do a Reset installation of Windows 10 after the GWX upgrade.

Flaky systems are flaky systems, and the Windows 10 upgrade does not replace every blessed OS component, so if your flakiness lies in something that does not get replaced it either persists as is or could get worse if it doesn't "play nice" with one of the new components.

All of the above presumes you will do a full backup, including system image, of your machine prior to the GWX upgrade and again post-upgrade.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

Post#1, do you have any system images made, if so that might be your best way of solving this, after which you can decide if you want to upgrade or not. If the only system images you have are really old ones then going back to them would be like effectively reinstalling your whole OS (so make sure to backup all your peronsla files (and if you're lucky the installer exe files for all your programs) to external media before beginning) whereas if you have a mroe rceent system image it could be just like going back to how the system was a few months back. Certainly for future use, after this problem is fixed, a system image would be a good thing to have, whichever OS you end up using, because some day you'll be very glad of having one, it'll ensure that if anything goes really wrong in future you can fix it quickly and with minimal bother.

If you don't have any system images at present that you can use (or if the only ones you have are really old and using them would mean wiping over all your programs and you don't have any quick way to reinstall those programs) then I suggest your course of action should be to seek further help in the windows 7 section of this site, perhaps continue on the thread already have, until the bugs are fixed, Then make some system images, then decide slowly and carefully whether you want to stay on 7 or move to 10, you've got until summer to decide that.

Edited by rp88, 10 December 2015 - 06:51 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

Yeah if the issues there were for 7 it will be there for 10

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:25 AM

IMO if you have a recovery partition pull what ever files you want on to a stick, then run all your security program to make sure the data on the stick is clean.  Then do the restore add your needed programs and data.  If your machine does not have the partition then you will have to do a clean install with the OS disk, but again save your data and screen it first.  Always check pulled data you never know when you will drag a nasty along!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users