Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Service Engine Software Sampler Upgrade Issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HypnoticSounds

HypnoticSounds

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:22 AM

Last night, I noticed there was a new revision of Best Service Engine 2 developed to support Windows 10.  As this is a VST I use frequently in my experimental music, I downloaded the installer for it. When I ran it it wanted to de-install the prior version and I told it to do so. It came back with "You must have administrator privileges to uninstall this program. Please uninstall it manually from Windows Programs and Features".

So I went to that section and specifically chose "Run as Administrator". Engine had not been installed for all users, so I didn't think switching to the Admin account via the user login menu would work. Programs and Features had its icon, but when I clicked "change or uninstall", I got "Cannot find program; looks like it has been uninstalled already; remove icon?" I stupidly said yes, and went back to the installer which now said when it got to must uninstall prior version "No vaild installer found; please reinstall prior version and uninstall using its installer program." Went and got prior version; it wanted itself uninstalled on reinstallation attempt, and couldn't do it either!

To date, I have done the following: 

1. Manually removed all instances of findable folders and files, including all instances of the VST plugin version of Engine 2.

2. Manually edited the registry to delete all findable key instances relating to Best Service or Engine 2.

3. Cleaned the registry with a 3rd party utility.

Message that Engine 2 needs to be uninstalled and no installer package found persists. I really need to get the new version of this VST synth onto my computer as right now I don't have any version at all.

Can someone here assist me in finding the piece or pieces I failed to remove? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

For something as technically specific and messy as that, you might be best to raise a topic on KVRAudio forums, or go straight to Technical Support.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=199

http://www.bestservice.de/en/technical_support.html

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 HypnoticSounds

HypnoticSounds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

Ahhh...ok, I really didn't think KVR would have the answer, or I would have asked there first. Let me try Best Service Tech instead.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

I hope I didn't sound like I was implying you hadn't taken basic measures already - it's just that the likelihood of someone being familiar with faultfinding a VST installation on Windows 10 would probably be higher on a dedicated audio forum or product support. And whilst I use VSTs I haven't had to faultfind an installation and never on Win 10, as my Win 10 system is a pocket PC that can't run Sonar.

It's always possible that a member here may read the topic and have an answer or wish to work through the possibilities.

#5 HypnoticSounds

HypnoticSounds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:00 AM

Thanks Platypus, and no...I'm not such a forum noob that I would jump to conclusions like that. I've been a KVR member since about 2011; and while I have seen faultfinding threads on the forum, there aren't that many recent ones. Sent to Best Service tech, and now have an answer waiting in my inbox. Will keep following this one, but I think I have the right person to help me now. 

#6 elhermos

elhermos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:40 AM

Hi Hypnotic Sounds...did you finally solve the problem?, I have the same issue and can´t find the soluttion... :)

Edited by elhermos, 18 May 2016 - 04:41 AM.

#7 HypnoticSounds

HypnoticSounds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:47 AM

Hi Hypnotic Sounds...did you finally solve the problem?, I have the same issue and can´t find the soluttion... :)

I think so but now I need to go searching through all of my emails to find it. Would you mind PMing me please?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

HypnoticSounds, if you've successfully resolved the issue, would you mind giving the solution here in case someone else would benefit from the answer too?

#9 HypnoticSounds

HypnoticSounds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

HypnoticSounds, if you've successfully resolved the issue, would you mind giving the solution here in case someone else would benefit from the answer too?

I will do so as soon as I find the email from Best Service, which is what I told my late respondent I needed to search for. Am doing that now; will get back to the forum with my finds shortly. 

I've found the conversation. @elhermos Where in the process are you stuck? This is a very long conversation and I don't want to clog the forum with the whole thing. Multiple emails went back and forth for three days or so. Let's start with this...what version of Engine are you attempting to upgrade from, and what would be the new revision? If it is higher than 2.3.0.25, and you are getting the same errors as I was, contact Best Service Tech support and ask for the no installer version of Engine which you would simply read the howto in the compressed folder, then following those instructions, unzip the entire archive into proper directory.

If 2.3.0.25 is the correct new revision, here is the manual installation link: http://www.bsdwl.de/Engine/No_Installer_Engine_2.3.0.25_win.rar

Hope this helps; looking foward to hearing from you!

Edited by HypnoticSounds, 18 May 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

Thanks HypnoticSounds, good to know that their support responds and that there is an alternative installation option. I hope it gives the answer for elhermos too!

#11 HypnoticSounds

HypnoticSounds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

Always happy to assist if possible, Platypus; which is why I stayed subscribed to the feed after I found the solution. As I said, didn't want to clog up the forum with the whole conversation with Best Service Support. Still doing this month's media run, so see you later, good folks!

(Aside to Platypus: You're running Sonar? How does that compare to something like Samplitude Pro X or Digital Performer?)

Edited by HypnoticSounds, 18 May 2016 - 11:58 PM.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

Unfortunately I can't offer any comments there! I only used a free Samplitude many years ago, and although I did take the opportunity to upgrade my Home Studio 4 to X1 (X2 etc) when it came out, life circumstances have meant I've done little more than look at it. The only time I've had for music has been helping a friend with his Pro Tools home studio, and a little quick looping with Music Creator. And if we want to record multi-track at church with our new digital desk, I might have to learn the Ableton Live Lite that came with it... sigh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users