Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low On Memory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Crasher12

Crasher12

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

I bought my notebook less then a week ago and as i was sitting listing to steamed music my compter said. computer running on low memory. It has a gig of ram a turion amd prosesser. its a stock DV8310 hp note book. If yu have any suggestions or know how to fix it please post or email me at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

(Moderator edit: E-mail address removed to avoid spambot harvesting. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 25 July 2006 - 11:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 2FNFAST

2FNFAST

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:37 AM

hey,u might have 2 buy a bigger memory card,

memory is a proplem for all labtops,except like alienware

or go delete and uninstall stuff,

go 2 start,setting,click on my control panel,then

click add and remove programs,

then look for program's u don't want or need,

like google search bar ,or other crap like that,

#3 Manoj-p

Manoj-p

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:23 AM

Read my post

"Computer Resources"

Try the Black Viper Link and see what all you can do to free up your resources.

I have tried it and it works

Manoj

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

Windows XP does a great job at managing memory - add on "memory managers" actually defeat proper handling of memory and are not recommended.

It is not rare for memory to go bad, or even new memory to be bad.

Run a couple of the following Ram tests:
RAM tests

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

Myth - "Increasing the amount of available RAM improves performance."

Reality - "RAM Optimizers have no effect, and at worst, they seriously degrade performance. Although gaining more available memory might seem beneficial, it isn't. As RAM Optimizers force the available-memory counter up, they force other processes' data and code out of memory. Say that you're running Word, for example. As the optimizer forces the available-memory counter up, the text of open documents and the program code that was part of Word's working set before the optimization (and was therefore present in physical memory) must be reread from disk as you continue to edit your document. The act of allocating, then freeing a large amount of virtual memory might, as a conceivable side effect, lead to blocks of contiguous available memory. However, because virtual memory masks the layout of physical memory from processes, processes can't directly benefit from having virtual memory backed by contiguous physical memory. As processes execute and undergo working-set trimming and growth, their virtual-memory-to-physical-memory mappings will become fragmented despite the availability of contiguous memory." - Source

Registry Cleaner Registry Cleaners

Myth - "Registry Cleaners improve performance."

Reality - "A few hundred kilobytes of unused keys and values causes no noticeable performance impact on system operation. Even if the registry
there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches." - Source

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

Your problem may simply be a function of how many applications you are using while streaming. Another possible source of the problem might be spyware. Using several free anti-spyware applications such as Ad-AwareSE and Spybot Search and Destroy could eliminate that possibility.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:52 PM

FWIW - I have a desktop with a P4 3.0 gHz processor, an nVidia FX7800 GS video card with 256 mB of VRAM, 2 gB of RAM, and 2 W-D Raptor (10,000 rpm) SATA drives.

Yet, my system still bogs down. Why? Because I don't feel the need to manage the apps that are running on my system. So, at times the combine to cause performance problems. When playing Half-Life, Quake, Fear, Doom, or any of the latest games I'll be going along fine when the game slows into a run through molasses. And research shows it to be the result of something like my Anti-virus scan or my Defragger kicking in while I'm playing the game.

BTW - in the thread that Monaj-p mentioned is a link to a copy of the Black Viper site. Cruising through it you'll find an interesting concept about how to optimize your system for different uses by creating different hardware profiles. I'm going to try this on my laptop during my next layover at the airport. I'll set up a profile for surfing, another for gaming offline, another for gaming online, and another for just fooling with the system without enabling the network.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users