Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Home Pri - Cant Log in, Safe mode hangs on CLASSPNP.sys

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 explative removed

explative removed

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:21 PM

Friend brings me a computer compiling that it is 'insane' and very slow. Says it takes 20 minutes to log in then cant do anything and here pictures have disappeared. I'm immediately suspect of virus or malware.

She has it in sleep mode and when I bring it up, sure enough there are multiple svchost processes running and system is pretty unresponsive even though % utilized is averaging 10% and memory is only 25-35%, just takes 1-2 minutes for processes to start or switch to. Files are missing since user is now under a temporary profile. Cant get to anything on the net, wireless and drive lights are almost constant. System has Malwarebytes on it, but its not running and doesn’t seem to launch, even after shutting off the wireless card with he manual switch. After 30 minutes I figure will need to boot from a flash drive and clean up the system before trying to recover the profile. Shut the system down and set it aside for later.

Coming back up, ran a chckdsk with no major finds. Tried to log in with both accounts on the machine and system would hang. When attempting to boot in safe mode, would get to classpnp.sys and was hung for 20 minutes with solid drive light before I shut it down again. Multiple re-boots and I was able to get it to log in with a temporary profile again. Malwarebytes was able to come up after killing all svchost processes. PC rebooted in the middle of mbam prepatory scan.

Sure looks and smells likes its infected. Any recommendations as to corrective actions? Just looking to get to the point where I can pull the files off and move to a replacement PC.

Edited by explative removed, 09 December 2015 - 10:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

You can use a Linux LIVE CD, DVD or flash drive to move files from the hdd to another medium such as an external drive. 

Do you need help in creating a Linux Live bootable medium? If so, please post in the Linux Forum. The info in links below

may be sufficient.

How to burn a DVD on Windows | Ubuntu

‪072 07 - Using The Ubuntu Live CD to Recover Files From an Un-Bootable Computer‬‏ - YouTube

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users