Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 is a big mess

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

I've been messing with PCs since Windows 3.11. This OS is just an unfinished and buggy mess.

I've tried to install it about 8 times now, and I get random results and major problems.

It makes Vista look like a Rolls Royce. It's just heart-breaking, and it's making me depressed.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

Windows 10 is indeed a work in progress released before it's time. Having a major upgrade called Threshold 2 and another next year called Redstone says as much. Look at the thread concering connection problems, over 160,000 views. Best to wait until after Redstone to see how things pan out. In the mean time continue with the OS you currently have.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2015 - 09:41 PM.

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

I still use Win 98, XP, Vista, Win7, and Win 8.1.

I've never had so many problems, even when they were 1st released.

The problem seems to be the newer user interfaces sitting on top of the old ones (which took a bat to the knees).

Lots of permissions errors, service errors, etc.

I don't know.....with the schizo 32 bit/64 bit folders, and the schizo interfaces, I feel like I'm on 4 PCs all at the same time,

and they are all talking at the same time and fighting. Madness. XP was so simple in contrast.

Every OS since Vista just seems like Vista with more useless BS thrown on it.

Frank O' The Mountain

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

The best approach for installing Windows 10 is to do a clean install if at all possible. I believe with the new Threshold upgrade you only need to provide the Windows 7 or 8 key when doing the clean install and if you have already installed and activated Windows 10 then Microsoft already has your hardware ID in it's servers and activation will be automatic.

Yeah, it seems that with each new Windows it takes more mouse clicks to do the same thing.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2015 - 09:42 PM.

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:22 AM

I've tried the upgrade way twice, and I've tried a new install from 3 different sets of media, all failures in different ways.

Frank O' The Mountain

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:21 AM

You can try downloading the iso that is the same version, Home or Pro as your current OS here. When doing a new install did you wipe the drive first? Were you using a DVD disk or USB flash drive for the install. 

#7 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

By "wipe the drive", you mean deleting the partitions, then yes, but not when doing the upgrade ones obviously. I used USB every time.

Looks like I did it this time. (USB again). Everything is installed and working except my dock audio. That only took 5 weeks......

Frank O' The Mountain

#8 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

By "wipe the drive", you mean deleting the partitions, then yes, but not when doing the upgrade ones obviously. I used USB every time.

Looks like I did it this time. (USB again). Everything is installed and working except my dock audio. That only took 5 weeks......

You fixed your audio?  How did you do that?  My laptop speakers haven't uttered a peep since upgrading.  How did you fix yours?

#9 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:12 PM

That's a long story. It depends on what kind of system/model you have.

I just tried a lot of different drivers in different compatibility modes until everything was working right.

I'm OK with win10 now....after I turned off all the weird BS.

Frank O' The Mountain

#10 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

That's a long story. It depends on what kind of system/model you have.

I just tried a lot of different drivers in different compatibility modes until everything was working right.

I'm OK with win10 now....after I turned off all the weird BS.

I asked someone else the same time I asked you and they directed me to a cnet thread where someone found a solution.  They said they went to CP and then Sound Settings and enabled both the headphones and speakers as default devices and now they both work for him.  When I tried it, I was only able to enable one or the other as default.  I enabled the speakers, so now I have sound from the speakers for the first time since getting Win10.  But now the headphones don't work anymore when I plug them in unless I go back to Sound Settings and make the headphones the default sound device.  Oh well, Microsoft thinks this is "progress", so who am I to argue?  :)

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:26 AM

Once you get it upgraded, it's best to do a clean install from cd. Upgrading has never worked very good. Also, keep your system safe from getting some wacky driver from MSFT. That would be the first thing to turn off. Go and grab all your hardware drivers elsewhere. If your system is fairly new then those drivers should be available by now.

#12 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

I have mixed feelings about 10.  The good: All my old programs install and work just fine.  The system is stable for me.

The not so good:  I have no use for Edge or Cortana. But Firefox & Chrome work just fine, so that's what I use for browsers.  And you can turn Cortana off and get a decent search capability.

There's a WiFi setting deep in the Power applet of the Control Panel to reduce power to your WiFi adapter.  When this option is on, you get fine WiFi when in the same room with a router, but very flaky connections when in a different room.  Easy to fix once you know about it, but it'll drive you crazy 'till you find it and change it.

They've changed the user interface enough to create a bit of a learning curve for some of the not-so-technical folks.  

If you're upgrading from 7 or 8.1 you may run into driver problems, most commonly with touchpads and WiFi adapters, so be sure to check with your manufacturer to get what you need beforehand.

The "snoopware".  This brings on many emotional arguments because some strongly believe it's all needed for MS to fix bugs and improve Windows.  To me that may be part of it, but I have no need to have 15 of their "apps" running in the background, I don't know why they need to monitor my camera & microphone, my contacts, etc. etc.  Even if their intent is 100% innocent, what if some not so honorable employee sneaks a copy of the database to criminals or maybe the government decides they want access to it?  

Sooo, I don't recommend that anybody upgrade to it.  But if you buy a new PC with 10 pre-installed, and you turn off the snoopware (via Settings -> Privacy), it's not a bad system.  YMMV.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#13 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

It's not a mess. I Upgraded my now 1 year old HP Envy to Windows 10 from 8.1 in November before my warrenty was up and everything has been fine and dandy and still is to this day. 

Edited by Atomic77, 20 January 2016 - 11:15 PM.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#14 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

I wiped my disk and did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, (before the November update). It installed without any hassles. It worked well and is not 'a mess'. I started years ago with MsDos5 and Win3.1, all the way through to 10, (only avoided Vista) and found that the clean install route avoided problems. Now reverted to Windows 7, Home Premium, because that's all I need, anyway.

#15 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

Sometimes a full system wipe can be worse then the upgrade if you know what I mean.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users