Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what's wrong, would like to fix fairly new monitor

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cman64

cman64

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:39 PM

Last year during the holidays i received a computer and monitor that were brand new. However, the monitor broke and I had to replace it with an older one that had previously been collecting dust. If there is any information as to what is wrong or how I can fix it, it would be greatly appreciated! 

I did get a chance to open it up and have a look. and everything seemed to be working so i'm clueless as to what could be the issue. The Monitor itself is a Dell E2215HV 22-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor and works fine when plugged in and given power. But the streaks on hr side and upper part are still there and i feel like it's the screen itself that may need to be replaced. Like i said, i'm no expert, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached File  IMG_2231.JPG   212.35KB   0 downloads

The Picture is when the monitor is given power, but is not connected to the computer. Mind the box in the center btw, that's just the notice that it isn't connected to the computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:47 PM

Have you tried pushing the buttons on the front for menu? Maybe reset it to factory.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

I got the same montor, but 24 inch. I can tell you how to reset to factory if you can't see the menu. Does that one have 4 buttons?

#4 cman64

cman64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

-delete extra-

Edited by cman64, 09 December 2015 - 04:42 PM.

#5 cman64

cman64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

I got the same montor, but 24 inch. I can tell you how to reset to factory if you can't see the menu. Does that one have 4 buttons?

Have you tried pushing the buttons on the front for menu? Maybe reset it to factory.

It does have the four buttons and I don't know how to restore it to factory settings and I haven't either. What are the steps?

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

Pressing any of the buttons does the menu show on the screen or is it not viewable and scrambled?

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

It's likely faulty circuits inside having to do with power. Power problems tends to be issues where the monitor would turn off and back on itself. Go completly dark, or not even power light LED lights come on, or not enough volts to light all of the display and you get wierd patterns like that. It's possible that one or more capacitors or chokes or something failed inside. Being under volted or over volted.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

You can have it go through a color diagnostic by pressing and holding 1 & 4 button together. Then press 4 button to cycle through the colors.

Edit: I thought this monitor had a reset to factory button combination. I guess if it's plugged in and no dvi or vga plug is attached it will show a display on screen, but that doesn't help if it all scrambled.

Edited by technonymous, 09 December 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#9 cman64

cman64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

Pressing any of the buttons does the menu show on the screen or is it not viewable and scrambled?

It's likely faulty circuits inside having to do with power. Power problems tends to be issues where the monitor would turn off and back on itself. Go completly dark, or not even power light LED lights come on, or not enough volts to light all of the display and you get wierd patterns like that. It's possible that one or more capacitors or chokes or something failed inside. Being under volted or over volted.

Okay, well I can  use the monitor fine with the streak, I will post a picture of it after this post. Hopefully that can narrow down the possibilities. I did find the factory settings, but it did nothing to resolve the problem. Also, anywhere I could buy the spare parts to replace if need be?

Attached File  IMG_2232.JPG   87.6KB   0 downloads

#10 cman64

cman64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

You can have it go through a color diagnostic by pressing and holding 1 & 4 button together. Then press 4 button to cycle through the colors.

Edit: I thought this monitor had a reset to factory button combination. I guess if it's plugged in and no dvi or vga plug is attached it will show a display on screen, but that doesn't help if it all scrambled.

Any other ideas? I might just get it repaired and pay the full price, but knowing what the problem is or something of the like would be great and may even reduce how much they charge me :P

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

I might just get it repaired and pay

A purely personal opinion. Modern TVs and monitors are not built to be readily repairable, certainly not cheaply. I would be inclined to write this one off to experience and replace it when funds allow. Since you have a working spare, even if it is not perfect, you are under no immediate pressure to go out and buy a new one

Chris Cosgrove

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:42 AM

Try turning down the brightness and contrast to 50%. Or, turn it up and see if the pattern changes. I had a client with an issue with a LED monitor. It would sometimes suddenly turn off and then back on. Turning brightness down essentially turns the overall power load down. By doing that it helped calm it down. Again, turning off and on etc is a sign of capacitors on the circuit board inside the monitor are beginning to fail. Weird patterns is the same issue, circuitry inside the monitor has failed. It needs to be repaired or replaced.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:19 AM

It's most likely that the screen has received pressure at the convergence of the vertical and horizontal striations, e.g. crush from thumb as screen was grasped, or a whack from something that was not hard or sharp. The cost of a replacement screen usually exceeds the value of the monitor.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:25 AM

It sure does. I think I paid $200 for mine it's 24 inch.

Edited by technonymous, 10 December 2015 - 05:26 AM.

#15 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

A new 22" 1920x1080 resolution LED monitor with warranty can be had for under £80 / $120 US. It cannot be cost effective to repair one unless the parts & labour are free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users