Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is needed is a pinned topic that people can be directed to.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

It would be great if we as a group could pass our collective knowledge onto others, by directing there here give this some thought.

Have a pinned topic in the discussion area!

Edited by OldPhil, 09 December 2015 - 03:02 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:40 PM

And a interactive live chat and whiteboard.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,071 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

I'm not understanding your context. A pinned topic of what exactly? And that will be different from posted topics, how? Who will be responsible for maintaining this pinned topic for relevance and accuracy? That people will be pointing others to.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

Ok I like many have tons of friends and business contacts, it would be good to have a link to direct them to for help to explain how to avoid 10.  I try to pass on some of what is up here but things change updates are added etc.  A pinned link with current info would make hero's out of the guys that provide the help.  A couple of weeks back my best friends machine took a dive, he is lucky to have a tech in the family he is back on 7.  But just yesterday at my doctors office I had a conversation with another gent who's machine went hay wire he paid $90 an hour to get 7 back.  These and other folks will be going through this again, I feel it is high time those in the know pass on info to help.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,071 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

But you still didn't answer my questions. How is a pinned topic different from you linking to existing topics and ongoing threads? Who is going to maintain this pinned topic so it stays relevant and doesn't get outdated? Especially since you're asking for it and that you will be pointing people to it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

Sorry for not understanding your question, my thought is make it easy for people to obtain the much needed help they need.  In other words give them one link they can check with understandable info to make easy to get the information, list of unwanted updates and what to do many have no idea how to do this stuff.  As far as updating there are several caring people that keep turning up new things they could add as it is uncovered.

Edited by OldPhil, 10 December 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

A topic such as the one you propose sounds good in theory.

The reality is that it would quickly go the way of other discussion topics which people voicing their opinions about whatever has been posted. We already have a number of debate topics and a pinned topic would become another one in which the original intent would get lost.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,768 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

I've been one to argue against pinned topics, with rare exceptions.

They almost invariably end up "burying" specific information rather than highlighting it.  I'd far sooner do a forums search to see what threads come up where I can evaluate their likely relevance based upon the subject(s) than have to dig through a "catch all" pinned topic.

Since a great many pinned topics also become locked topics, they don't get regular additions tacked on as more/different information becomes available.

My advice to anyone who's about to try out any forum of any type is to familiarize themselves with the search function for that forum first, then use it.  This can even help you to figure out how to phrase something in such a way as to increase the likelihood that someone will respond to your questions.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

Post #4, my advice would be to do for this what I have done for the "windows update monitoring thread", just start one, make updates to it yourself whenever there is something new to add and add notes encouraging others who pass it to contribute their own knowledge. Make it very clear from the start that the thread you are creating is about technical "how to I do..." and not the place for users to argue the benefits or lack thereof of any particular thing. The thread doesn't need pinning if you just want it so you can give the link to those you think would benefit from knowing ths stuff, you can still share the link to it. It might not be so visible initially without pinning but over time peopke will come to recognise it as something that rises to the top of the recent posts list whenever something about the situation changes.

If you start it there are a lot of us who would be happy to add what we know.

The key problem, as Queen-Evie, mentions is that it might degenerate into argument, where what visitors to that sort of thread really need is technical advice about HOW, not people discussing WHY and IS IT RIGHT, maybe if it was put in the support section rather than the discussion section it might be able to benefit from the strict rules of that section that any posts in windows 10 support are to be for technical help and advice, NOT for debate (which belongs in discussion). Maybe if the first post specifically asked moderators "If this post at any point breaks down into arguing please remove all the arguing posts but please leave behind everything up to the most recent technical "how to" post and allow the thread to reamin unlocked." they might be able to help you keep it as a purely technical discussion of the "HOW DO I ..." kind and not a debate.

Edited by rp88, 10 December 2015 - 06:16 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users