Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Default printer keeps changing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 kanagymb

kanagymb

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

I recently upgraded one of our Windows 7 Pro computers to Windows 10 Pro.  The computer has several printers attached to it.  One HP networked printer and two Zebra label printers that are local via USB.  Both of the local label printers are being shared through the computer so that others on the local network can use them as well.

The issue I am having since the upgrade is that when any of the other users on the network prints to one of the label printers, it changes the default printer on the hosting computer to that label printer.  I can manually change the default printer on that computer back to the networked HP, but the next time some other user prints to one of the shared label printers, the default printer on the hosting computer switches the default back to that label printer.

Any ideas on how to stop this?  I already turned off the Windows 10 option to manage the default printers.  I've updated just about every driver I can think of, reinstalled printers, un-shared/re-shared the label printers, ran Windows updates, etc.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kanagymb

kanagymb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

Also, he "hosting" computer (the one with the label printers attached via USB and then shared) can print back and forth between different printers without having its default printer change at all.  It isn't until a different computer on the network sends a print job to one of the shared label printers that the default printer gets changed on the "hosting" computer.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:01 AM

Uninstall the printer software for all printers.

Then reinstall freshly downloaded copies of the latest W10 compatible versions.

If that doesn't work, contact Zebra tech support ( https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads.html )

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 kanagymb

kanagymb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:00 AM

I've tried that already, unfortunately, the software/driver un-install/re-install.  I made sure that Zebra had Windows 10 compatible drivers as well before re-installing.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

See if going through Printers and Devices in Windows 10 control panel works.

http://www.howtogeek.com/116382/how-to-access-the-control-panel-in-windows-8/

http://www.meinstyn.com/windows/how-to-change-your-default-printer-in-windows-different-for-each-network.html

060710-location-aware-printing.jpg

#6 kanagymb

kanagymb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

No luck.  Also, the "manage default printers" button on the menu bar appears to have been removed for Windows 10.  Looks like your screenshot above is from Windows 7.  My assumption would be that the Windows 10 equivalent of that button is now the "Let windows manage my default printer" toggle switch, which I already have turned off.

Attached Files

Edited by kanagymb, 10 December 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

Sorry, this was my mistake. In order to see Manager Default Printers, the computer has to be a mobile device.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:53 AM

Contact Zebra tech support.

I say this because I had a similar problem with the label printers (different brand) at my wife's office (this was back in the XP days)

I contacted them and they were able to point me to the appropriate settings to make the default "stick"

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 kanagymb

kanagymb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

Sounds good, I will give that a shot again and see what happens.  I haven't heard back from the first attempt to contact them.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

If you still get no result from Zebra make sure this registry key has a Dvalue of 1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

LegacyDefaultPrinterMode DWORD

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/26138-printer-turn-off-let-windows-10-manage-default-printer.html

#11 Damonlazer

Damonlazer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

I am having an identical issue.  After upgrading to Windows 10 on our office machines, I cannot keep the client computers from changing the host printer's default printer.  For the host, I have a Citizen CT-S-310 receipt printer attached, and sometimes other computers will print to this receipt printer.  At first, I thought I had fixed the problem by turning off the "Let Windows manage my default printer" setting.  This setting was causing the default printer to change any time the host printer would print to the receipt printer, and turning this setting off stopped that.  However, after discovering that the default printer was still changing, seemingly randomly, I discovered that any time a CLIENT computer sent a job to this printer, it would inexplicably change the default printer on the HOST.  For the life of me I can't figure out why it keeps doing this, except that it must be a bug in Windows 10, which means that Microsoft will need to fix it.  Has anyone found a thread pertaining to this in Microsoft support articles?

#12 kanagymb

kanagymb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

As of yet I haven't found an actual fix, and haven't heard back from Zebra tech support either.  But as others seem to have the same issue it may not be a Zebra issue.

In the meantime, I setup a quick scheduled task on the HOST computer to re-set the default printer every time it detects a change in the event log.  The scheduled task runs when an 823 event is detected in the PrintServices/Admin log.  The scheduled task just kicks off a batch file that is setup to run this command:

wmic printer where name='insert printer name' call setdefaultprinter

Not the cleanest solution, but it gets the job done.

#13 Damonlazer

Damonlazer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

Thank you for the task scheduling advice.  I agree it's not the most elegant solution, but it would get the job done and keep us from inadvertently wasting receipt paper.

#14 IamDMA

IamDMA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

I'm having the same problem with one of my customers.  Manage default printer option turned off in Win10 GUI and setting verified in registry.  I changed every occurrence of this option in the registry that I could find thinking that it probably involves the fact that the user coming in from the network won't be coming in as the logged in user, but "Everyone" or "Guest" or something like that.  I did find it in several places and changed it.  No luck.  We are using Zebra label printers as well, but since Damonlazer is having the issue with Citizen printers, I doubt that it is a Zebra specific issue.  My main concern is that I've scoured the internet and this is the only place I can find describing this exact problem.  So...Is this only limited to certain printer brands?  I would expect more uproar if this was a bug in Win10 that caused this symptom on any system hosting a shared printer that isn't the default on the host.  Anyone find a solution yet? Has anyone seen confirmation from Microsoft or Zebra confirming the issue?  I tried the task scheduler thing that was suggested and even though it did properly reset the default printer on the host after the shared print, I had to turn it off because it seemed to interfere with printing to the desired default printer.  Sometimes it would print, sometimes not, and sometimes it would only print a percentage of what was attempted.  My workaround right now was to uninstall the last Windows 10 build on the printer host.  That worked, but I would like to keep the system up-to-date with the latest improvements in Windows 10.  I guess I'll try again with the next major build.

#15 HPF

HPF

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

I had same problem here. My computer host a Brother QL-560 labelprinter. Whenever coworker printed to that shared labelprinter my default printer would change to Brother QL-560.

"Let Windows manage my default printer" was Off on both computers.

I thought it was strange Windows 10 would allow another computer to change default printer on my computer. Then I remembered how I had shared this labelprinter (using username/password instead of workgroup). 

I changed to workgroup sharing and that fixed the problem.

Edited by HPF, 08 February 2016 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users