Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons completely disappeared, need help please. Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shak8814

Shak8814

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hello, this is my first post on this page and in any page like this one but I hope I'll get an answer soon.

So, I have a very weird problem. My desktop icons have been gradually turning into blank files, it happened when I was changing icon sizes or messing with a second screen (I don't remember), so I rebooted and they still didn't change... I looked online but I couldn't find any answer to my problem (and I've tried everything).

It appears certain .exes didn't show their icons so the shortcut appeared white too... weird... Then yesterday I just went and found that I could change the icons to another ico file and it worked.

PROBLEM SOLVED!! I thought...

But the real problem just came today.

I open my computer and I find what you should be able to see in my screenshot:

The icons don't show as blank files, they're just gone, I can only select the name of the file (Right bottom corner). So I go to my folders and all the icons are gone (at least Microsoft Edge works for some reason... yay -_- )

But I just got confused when I was going to select the screenshot to post it here and in that folder all the icons appear...

Sooo I looked for this new problem and I haven't found anything.

Please, can anyone tell me what to do??

*BTW I did the directory thing to make the shortcut arrows disappear, don't know if it's got anything to do with anything.

Thanks.

Attached File  Screenshot.png   620.53KB   5 downloads

Edited by Shak8814, 09 December 2015 - 01:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DEaves

DEaves

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

If it were me, I would probably try to rebuild the icon cache. Just google it, not a complicated procedure. Have had good luck when dealing with icon issues.

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

Have you tried system restore to see if you can restore back to before the problem?

How to do a system restore in windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

If Sytem restore works great,if not you could download Tweaking.coms Windows Repair all in one,it will probably fix  the icons for you.

Just run the program  go to fixes and tick  Icons.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

The other thing is.what caused the problem?You should really scan for Malware/Viruses.A good bet would be to run Malwarebytes in Safe mode if you hav,nt scanned.

Download and install Malwarebytes.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Enter Safemode and run the program (allow it to remove anything it finds).

Entering Safemode in Windows 10.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

#4 Shak8814

Shak8814
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

Thanks guys, I'm running an Antivirus, and I'll try everything you said. I'll keep you posted!

#5 Shak8814

Shak8814
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

So none of those worked, my only hope now is tweaking.com's program, but it's recommending me to take out my laptop's battery and I'd prefer not to unscrew my laptop if it's possible.

Can I skip that part and try it out?  :unsure:

And as for the other answers...

My antivirus and malwarebyte only detected some tiny spywares that are now removed (I did it in Safe Mode too...)

Rebuilding the icon cache did nothing

And the system restore was from the 1st of this month and, at first, it gave an error: System Restore didn't work and a code similar to 7b00900700 or something like that. But when I restarted it said the Restore was completed and somethings were actually changed, but the icons haven't appeared...

My computer is also going considerably slower on startups...  :killcomp:

If I reset it to factory settings will it be fixed for sure?  

Please tell me if there's something I can do!!

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

If I reset it to factory settings will it be fixed for sure?

You can never be a hundred percent certain,there are just too many variables,but a factory reset would have a good chance of restorng everything.

You should still back up any and all files that are important to you before you attempt it.

Were does it say remove the battery in Win all in one repair?i dont remember that.Best bet is probably boot to safe mode and tick fix icons..I ran it that way a few times on xp,never caused any problems.

Interesting that you found spyware,its possible that something nocked the system,a lot of small odd system changes are caused by malware,your icons dissapear,

icons no longer showing on the taskbar,desktop slowing down...just because Malwarebytes diddnt find anything doesnt mean the system is nesseserily totally clean

Ok,just a thought what happens if you toggle the desktop icons on and off,ie right click desktop,uncheck view desktop icons,then right click and check view desktop icons again?

You could also right click on the desktop and just create a new folder,that can bring icons back

Out of interest,if you go to windows explorer-desktop,do you see your icons there?

I would also run the file checker

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-sfc-command-run-windows-10-a.html

Run it as in option 3,Open cmd and run as adminitrator,etc

If it finds problems,run the Dism tool to fix them (show just below item 6 in that article).

Let us know how win repair does if those dont work..

Edited by Wolverine 7, 11 December 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#7 Shak8814

Shak8814
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

:smash:

So nothing works...

I checked all the options at the repair tool just in case, and I did it again only for the icons. And nothing.

The file checker came in with the repair tool so I won't do it again....

And I've tried all the obvious solutions too. It's as if icons are turned off, I can only select the text box in desktop and can only see the text in folders...

Guess it's a factory restore and hope for the best...  :unsure:

I'll do it if you guys agree.

Edited by Shak8814, 13 December 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

If the machine came loaded with Windows 10 then I would suggest, after having backed up all of your user data, that you consult the manufacturer's website and see if your machine has a "quick and easy" reset to factory settings option.  Virtually all do.

If it was upgraded, then I'd propose you first try a Reset install of Win10 with the "keep my files" option (which keeps only your data files - you'll have to reinstall any programs or apps) first, and if that doesn't work then a Reset install not using that option.

Attached File  Update&Security-Recovery2.jpg   75.28KB   1 downloads

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

Try rebuilding the icon cache.

#10 Shak8814

Shak8814
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

Try rebuilding the icon cache.

I already tried and it did absolutely nothing

Edited by Shak8814, 13 December 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#11 Shak8814

Shak8814
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

Ok so maaaaybe I found the cause of the problem...

And I would be very stupid if it actually was.

So I thought, maybe they're in the trash?? So I gave it a try and I remembered something: When I bought the laptop 2 years ago I entered a gmail account as the first user but when I saw that many of the functions were only available to hotmail accounts I wanted to delete the account and make another one. And i couldn't...

Not long ago I was looking for rogue folders of deleted games, in %AppData% and such, to clean my computer. And, Oh my! I found an old folder from the other account, which I opened and found it empty, DELETE...  :oopsign:

It's called (My user name)_000 and it was in Users/(My user name)_001/AppData/Roaming.  The problem is I can't restore, open it, or even check its properties. I press right click, then click on properties and nothing happens.

I'll do the factory reset when I finish the essay I have to work on.

Edited by Shak8814, 13 December 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#12 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

I'll do the factory reset when I finish the essay I have to work on.

Seems like your only option now...shouldnt be a problem as long as you back up your data,let us know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users