Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Win 10 install, but is my security setup sufficient, or should I add MBAM?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

Hi all!

I just built myself a new workstation computer with MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and have installed EAM Pro, WinPatrol PLUS and HMP.A with CryptoGuard as my security setup.

My browser is Mozilla Firefox 32-bit with the add-ons Web Of Trust, Adblock Plus and Ghostery for additional security.

On my previous computer I used to have ESET Smart Security, but decided to ditch it in favor of EAM when I built this computer in conjunction with the news that EAM no longer was recommended alongside other AV, and besides i found ESS to be too complicated to properly fine-tune...

So now I wonder;

Is my security setup sufficient, or should I add MBAM Premium?

And would it be advisable to run EAM Pro's real-time protection alongside MBAM Premium's real-time protection?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 10 December 2015 - 09:02 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Premium, WPP, SWB, HMP.A with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, SIRI? and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with µBO, Ghostery, HTTPS Ew and VTzilla. Acronis TI 2017, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 22 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:42 AM

Hi there,

MBAM Premium can certainly be installed with EAM. Whether you decide to use them together or not is your call however, as EAM's antimalware protection should be sufficient.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 10 December 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:59 AM

Hi, Alexstrasza!

Thank you for the prompt and clarifying reply! :)

For now I think I will stick to EAM, since you agree that it is sufficient in terms of protection. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 10 December 2015 - 09:03 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Premium, WPP, SWB, HMP.A with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, SIRI? and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with µBO, Ghostery, HTTPS Ew and VTzilla. Acronis TI 2017, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 22 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:06 AM

You can always use MBAM as a stand-alone scanner for a second opinion...there are options that allow you to disable it from running at start-up.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the suggestive reply! :)

Thanks for the tip; :wink: I have done just that. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 12 December 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hi again, Sintharius & quietman7!

Just thought I should let you know that today, I eventually changed my mind and upgraded to Malwarebytes 3 Premium with 2 years subscription and subsequent annual renewal; thereby saving 25% initially, since I consider myself being security minded enough and appreciate the extra protection that Malwarebytes provides.

I hope this is OK with you.

Thank you again!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 07 December 2017 - 10:19 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

:thumbup2:
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#9 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

I'm not familiar with ghostery, but the EFF releases Privacy Badger, which I've had a lot of success using.

#10 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:54 PM

Hi again, Sintharius & quietman7!

Just thought I should let you know that today, I eventually changed my mind and upgraded to Malwarebytes 3 Premium with 2 years subscription and subsequent annual renewal; thereby saving 25% initially, since I consider myself being security minded enough and appreciate the extra protection that Malwarebytes provides.

so EAM + MBAM? if yes you more than covered :)

Emsisoft Community Manager

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

Hi, Umbra!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Yes, that is essentially correct, as this originally is an old topic (from 2015). :thumbup2:

And since then, I have necessarily changed and improved my security setup several times, which is all reflected in my signature;

Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes 3 Premium, WinPatrol PLUS, SpywareBlaster Free, HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky.

These all work well together, as they each are designed to provide different types of real-time multi-layered anti-malware protection. :thumbsup:

And this security software list is BTW carefully selected from numerous recommendations in this very AV/AM Forum at BC.

I also practise safe computing.

Thank you!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 09 December 2017 - 03:20 AM.

#12 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes 3 Premium, WinPatrol PLUS, SpywareBlaster Free, HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky.

Winpatrol Plus ins't really needed in that setup, it is redundant (the 3 others should covers the same areas), unless you use it for a particular feature. :)

Emsisoft Community Manager

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:42 AM

HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard isn't really needed.

Emsisoft's Behavior Blocker is effective against unknown zero-day attacks, file-less malware that resides only in memory, zombies (the hijacking of host processes to load malicious code which execute via script parser programs), and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks. With the release of v2017.5, Emsisoft now has a separate Anti-Ransomware module.

Windows Insider MVP 2017

#14 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:27 AM

Hi again, Umbra & quietman7!

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

Winpatrol Plus ins't really needed in that setup, it is redundant (the 3 others should covers the same areas), unless you use it for a particular feature. :)

As it happens, WinPatrol PLUS is mentioned as a recommended security tool in quietman7's pinned topic; Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

I use it for its real-time Infiltration Detection functionality and its ability to detect changes in start-up programs, and it actually has an interesting set of features which make it quite a unique tool.

HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard isn't really needed.

Emsisoft's Behavior Blocker is effective against unknown zero-day attacks, file-less malware that resides only in memory, zombies (the hijacking of host processes to load malicious code which execute via script parser programs), and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks. With the release of v2017.5, Emsisoft now has a separate Anti-Ransomware module.

Are you implying that I should uninstall or not renew my license for HitmanPro.Alert in June, 2018?

HMP.A also has an interesting set of features which make it quite unique.

Wish I could link to them, but cannot seem to find it anymore.

Thank you!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 09 December 2017 - 10:54 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

I still use WinPatrol...primarily as a startup Manager

With the protection provided by Emsisoft and Malwarebytes Premium, there isn't really a need to keep HMP.Alert anymore. I removed it from my machines a while ago. Since you have a license, I see no benefit to renewing it and you can save yourself some more money.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users