Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird stuff on win10

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

I started to have problems with windows 10 yesterday.  The magnifier comes up with errors (having severe vision problems and need it) and when did a scan file checker - errors.  Then tried to open the paint that had the print screen of errors and more errors.

Also, when it opened the error it had my given name - not supposed to be anywhere on the compter (not even on my email accounts!) and not any MS accounts and my local computer accounts have numbers not names.  And I never use my given name (not even in person) - usually sign everything with my first initial or other names people know me by.  There's nothing on this computer that should have that name and even my email accounts don't have it.  There are no MS accounts on this computer and my hotmail accounts (that I've not checked since getting win10) don't have my name either.

I  can't open the paint files but had them in an email to someone and am trying to enclose their images from the emails as attachments.

Any way I can get my name off the computer?  I'd also like to fix the other problems.

It has C:\users\my real name (never used on this computer or even real life)\title of the paint image.png  

The user name on this local account is 4.  I check in both settings and control panel under users in the admin account (it's name is 93).  I've not signed anything with my name as I don't use it I go by my my initial or other names.

BTW, when I was on early yesterday the updates weren't up - so they weren't updated until this morning.

Attached Files

Edited by Tierra93, 09 December 2015 - 09:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

I looked in the c drive users and there are accounts there that should be  and others that shouldn't be (my name, default.migrated,public - besides the 2 general and admin accounts that are numbered accounts).   Most files are empty.  All user files have onedrive which is empty but shouldn't be there as I've supposedly have it disabled.

Like I stated above, I never use my given name - not even on leagal documents - I use my initial. 

Can I just delete these other accounts?  What about getting rid of the onedrive?

Thank you.

#3 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:49 PM

you have a ' in front of the sfc that might help!

utl8q0-5.png

#4 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

Thank you - TheJokerz. I'm having vision problems and didn't notice that.

I ran SFC; however, it didn't fix anything.

Edited by Tierra93, 09 December 2015 - 04:20 PM.

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

Quite strange with the name business,never seen that,did you use it in an old user account and then delete it?

#6 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

No, I took it to my computer company for a last check over before the warranty ran out and they fresh installed windows 7 from my windows disc then installed windows 10 (they insisted doing the install of windows 10 themselves as too many of their customers were having severe problems with it). They had the admin account named the same as when they made the computer - 93. They only installed drivers and FF, Chrome, & malwarebytes. I set up the 2 general accounts without a MS account and downloaded sandbloxie, spyware blaster,f.lux, ccleaner, office 2010 and drivers/programs for my cannon printer and manual on my canon camera. I don't see how any of these programs should be in conflict or corrupting windows. Even windows defender is saying not scanned my computer and it's in danger a couple hours after scan. I scan daily with malwarebytes and windows defender. I checked with ESET online scanner and no problems. Not been on the computer much as having vision problems. They checked over all my hardware (they had the computer for a week to check everything). So it has to be windows (I just got it back just before Thanksgiving here (late November)).

#7 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

What would happen if I went into C > users and deleted the one account that doesn't show up elsewhere by right clicking and delete? I don't think it would fix all the problems, but would it make things worse?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

I'll simply offer the following based on my own experience with Windows (all iterations) over decades:  The user "My Documents" [sometimes called home] directory is created at the moment of account creation and is directly based on the user id created (or Microsoft Account used, e.g., my home directory is "C:\Users\brite_000 since my Microsoft Account e-mail address starts with britechguy).   I have never seen Windows in any version since Windows 7 (my recollection prior to 7 is not as clear) do anything but that.

If your account is a local account, and it sounds like it is, it is entirely possible that they set it up initially as "Teresa" and later did a rename on that account.  Later renames on individual user accounts do not cause new folder structures to be built, they just map the new name to the existing directory structures.

If you wish to get rid of the folder structure containing "Teresa" I would create a new local account with administrator privilege, copy over whatever personal data you want from the account that is using the "Teresa" folder structure, then delete that account once the user data has been copied.

I do not believe that Windows has anything to do with the fact that a folder structure with your given name in it exists.  My guess is that the techs who set up your computer did so using your given name as the user name and then later changed the user name to something else.   You can try doing this yourself.  For local accounts you can rename them again and again, but whatever the folder structure was when they were created will remain as it was upon account creation.

OneDrive only functions if you have a Microsoft Account.   If you create a local account there's no way to link that in to the Microsoft Cloud without an associated Microsoft account.  I turned off OneDrive via its settings panel by telling it not to start when Windows starts.  It's never shown up in the system tray (hidden or visible) since.  As far as I can tell all user folder structures will contain a OneDrive folder by default.  If you have OneDrive disabled and have no intent of using it just delete that folder.

Edited by britechguy, 10 December 2015 - 11:39 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

If you wish to get rid of the folder structure containing "Teresa" I would create a new local account with administrator privilege, copy over whatever personal data you want from the account that is using the "Teresa" folder structure, then delete that account once the user data has been copied.

Makes sense to me.(you can see why he does this for a living:))

If filechecker is showing errors you can use the DISM Tool to repair them.

Instructions here.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

#10 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

Thank you.

I ran SFC and still having problems:

Microsoft ® Windows ® Resource Checker Version 6.0
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with
correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=] [/VERIFYFILE=]
[/OFFWINDIR= /OFFBOOTDIR=]

/SCANNOW Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with
problems when possible.
/VERIFYONLY Scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair operation is
performed.
/SCANFILE Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems are
identified. Specify full path
/VERIFYFILE Verifies the integrity of the file with full path . No repair
operation is performed.
/OFFBOOTDIR For offline repair specify the location of the offline boot directory
/OFFWINDIR For offline repair specify the location of the offline windows directory

e.g.

sfc /SCANNOW
sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows
sfc /VERIFYONLY

Still getting the same error messages.

BTW, all the problems are on my standard account (I rarely use the admin account).

But I've opened a second admin account. So, I just go in and delete the first admin account in control panel and then delete in C: the Teresa and the 93 accounts? I'll just load my stuff from my back up sources - so I don't really have to copy the Teresa file? Do I need to get rid of any standard accounts I made with the 93 account since they're the accounts with the problems?

I still don't understand why I can't use magnifier in my standard account or that the desktop saved paint in the standard account is going to the Teresa file if that's admin.

Thank you.

Edited by Tierra93, 10 December 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#11 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

Hopefully Britecguy will go into the user account stuff,he undersstands it better than me...if you use the DSSM Tool as shown in the link i gave you it should repair

your files.

Open the Command Prompt,run as administrator

Type,or copy/paste

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Allow the tool to run untill finished.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

Teresa (if you don't mind, since you've mentioned it's your name),

Did you do an "SFC /SCANNOW"?

I am having trouble following exactly what's what based on the prior narrative.  Thus, I'll offer the following step-by-step, and you must be logged in as an administrator.

1.  Open a Command Prompt elevated to "Run as Administrator"  You must do this even if you are logged in as an administrator.

2.  SFC /SCANNOW         If it finds anything and repairs it, see if that fixes your problems.  If it says it cannot fix something post back.

3.  Regardless of the result of step two,  for EACH account you have on your system:

a)  Log in.

b) Open Command Prompt and note the folder that's shown in the system prompt.  This is the home directory for that account.  Make a note of it.

c) Log out.

4.  IF your administrator account is NOT the one with the TERESA folder structure, log in to it, otherwise see Step 5

a) Create a folder with a name of your choosing and copy everything that resides under C:\Users\Teresa into that folder.

b) Delete the account that has the Teresa folder structure.

5.  IF your adminstrator account IS the one with the TERESA folder structure

a) Log in to it.

b) Create another account that's got administrator privileges.  I presume you'll want this to be a local account without any corresponding Microsoft Account.

c) Log out of that account and log in to the account you just created.

d) Create a folder with a name of your choosing and copy everything that resides under C:\Users\Teresa into that folder.

e) Delete the account that has the Teresa folder structure.

I don't know what to tell you about the other accounts, particularly without knowing what SFC /SCANNOW reports when run.

ADDENDUM:  Wolverine's post hit just as mine was being completed and I agree that running that DISM command makes sense, too.   Wolverine, doesn't DISM have to be run under PowerShell, not Command Prompt?  [I could be mistaken, but I thought it had to be.]

I don't know why my steps B with a parenthesis after are all being changed to that particular smiley.  Let's see if unchecking the "Enable emoticons?" option in full editor and retyping my "b)" keeps them.

Edited by britechguy, 10 December 2015 - 06:42 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

@ britechguy #12

I don't know why my steps B with a parenthesis after are all being changed to that particular smiley.

As far as I am aware this is because brackets surrounding the second letter of the alphabet are the bb codes for that smiley !  I got caught out by this a while ago and have used Roman numerals since.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

@ britechguy #12

I don't know why my steps B with a parenthesis after are all being changed to that particular smiley.

As far as I am aware this is because brackets surrounding the second letter of the alphabet are the bb codes for that smiley !  I got caught out by this a while ago and have used Roman numerals since.

Chris Cosgrove

Chris,

I always disable BB Codes if that option is shown.  In this case the equivalent for smileys/emoticons is unchecking the enable box in the full editor.

Thanks for the tip, it led me to the solution.

~ Lauren Bacall

#15 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

ADDENDUM:  Wolverine's post hit just as mine was being completed and I agree that running that DISM command makes sense, too.   Wolverine, doesn't DISM have to be run under PowerShell, not Command Prompt?  [I could be mistaken, but I thought it had to be.]

Well you can run it eiiher way as it goes,both ways explained  in the How to run DISM link...ive only run it once in 10 from command,just to check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users