Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot update Windows as no update link works!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

Well only 'View installed updates' works. (the earliest shows only one of 21 November - I thought November had a big update. no?)

Clicking these does nothing:-

Win Update Elevated Installer

Win Update settings

Advanced Win Updates options

Check for Updates

As I updated via this on another computer yesterday with no problem (except updating 4 items took over 4 hours!!) what can be my present glitch be?

Thanks for advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

Right click on the desktop

Select "New", and then select "Shortcut"

In the next window type in "ms-settings:windowsupdate" (without the quotes), then click on "Next"\

Type in "Windows Updates" (without the quotes) and click on "Finish"

Then find the new shortcut on your Desktop and double click it.

Does this let you check for Windows Updates?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for that - a good suggestion.

However after my post I had a screen freeze (very rare in my years of  use) and had to reboot via the off button. Then typing in Windows Update in the search field it took 5 mins this time for that menu to appear - very unusual.

Then clicking on Check for updates this appeared immediately and the successful updating took just over 1 hour on this 7 year old XP netbook compared with the 4 hours on my Lenovo i7 Win 7, both now on Win 10 of course.

So my problem was caused by some odd computer glitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users